Weather Station Recommedations

Andy Miller

Enthusiast
Looking at getting a new and better weather station over the ones I've had in the past. Right now looking to spend between $200-300. Any recommendations on brands or actual stations?

Thanks!!

I’ve heard good reports about WeatherFlow/Tempest but have never used them myself.

Davis Vantage Vue’s are in that price range and rock-solid. If I could recommend a station from a brand I’ve used, it would be a Davis Vantage
Vue (although I’ve used Vantage Pro’s and Pro 2’s).

Disclaimer since I have to put this out there: I work for AEM (Davis’ parent company), but I’d still recommend them if I didn’t.

I finally bought a Tempest at the end of last year. The wind sensor went bad, so they just replaced mine. Otherwise, the wind readings are pretty good. I've been told my temp/humidity/DP readings are better than my VP2. Rain readings are a bit wild, but I had them calibrate them using my VP2 and local CoCoRaHS readings. Lightning alerts are nice, as are the "it's raining" alerts and the hourly forecasts.

I'd still recommend a VVue over a Tempest if you need a tried and true weather station or if rain amount accuracy is important. I still like the Tempest as a comparison to my VP2, and the lightning alerts, "it's raining" alerts, and forecasts make it worth the price to own for me.

Back