Weather Channel forecast (data) come from?

The Weather Channel is showing on their maps today that the severe weather event, expected for tomorrow (May 1st) will be in parts of NE KS, NW MO, S. NE and SW IA. Its a small sliver of red. However, the SPC still has a larger area in the slight risk stretching all the way to S. OK. The WC continues to focus on that area for tomorrow. My question to this forum? Why does the WC differ on occasion with other forecasting organizations. (They have their own meteorologist, I assume)? I can, kind of see why for variance, I mean I am 100 miles from Tulsa and only 70 from Springfield MO. Their forecast discussions can vary for obvious reasons. Any thoughts would help me grasp this better! As a junior member and a local spotter for my community, I still have much to learn. I can't wait for the day to be able to post with the big boys.

Todd,
Look at the Graphical Foreceast Section and you will see I think is close to this same sliver of red around the 2pm time line in N.E. NE and W IA. Then at the 5pm time line another slightly lager sliver of red is added for N.E. KS.
I don't know if this is the same sections you are referring to that TWC has or not, but below is the link to look at and compare.

http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/graphical/sectors/conus.php?element=Wx

It appears to me that TWC often shows an outlook for the "today" (basically, daylight period) only, whereas the SPC outlook is for a 24 hour period. On occasion, TWC will show a graphic with the "today" period in red and an "overnight" period in a darker shade of red.

I know that the software they use does not automatically plot the SPC outlooks.... so someone has to draw those by hand.

The forecast is a combination of the forecasters at TWC and Dr. Forbes. SPC is consulted heavily but we can and will differ where we think it is necessary.
Also, our forecast is often 12 hours in duration, where the morning SPC outlook is for 24 hours, as correctly noted above.

Back