Volcano Mayon Due For An Eruption!!

Since I couldn't find any open threads regarding volcanoes, thought I would start a thread about the volcano in the Philippines threatening to erupt any day now:

http://philippinestimes.com/

http://article.wn.com/view/2009/12/..._m/?template=philippinestimes/mediumphoto.txt

http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/volcano.cfm?vnum=0703-03=

http://www.volcanolive.com/news.html

Sounds like the government has done its job in evacuating nearly 40,000 residents from the slopes of the cone-like volcano. But nearly 3,000 have been adamant about staying! Some have been evacuated, only to go back three times! :eek:

Anybody here have any experiences in watching/seeing volcano activities??

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like the eruption has already started according to the last link in your post.

Volcano News - John Seach said:
Monday 21st December 2009
Mayon Volcano, Philippines

Activity has increased at Mayon volcano, Philippines. Over the past day there were 1942 volcanic earthquakes and emission of 6089 tonnes of sulphur dioxide. Lava fountains were observed rising 200 m above the summit at 2007 hr, 2008 hr and 2018 hr on 20th December. The lava flow has extended 5 km downslope from the summit along the Bonga-Buyuan gullies.

Currently the volcano is at a level 4 (out of 5) alert for a dangerous and explosive eruption that could pose a severe pyroclastic flow threat for the populated areas below.

I bet this is just a precursor to the supervolcano that will blow up in 2012.
I hardly doubt that of all the volcanoes in the world the one that sounds the most like Mayan is about to blow its top out of coincidence. It's a warning I tell ya! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Eruption or No Eruption?

Bart, I guess it depends on our definition of "eruption". You can have an explosive eruption (ala Mount St Helens) with clouds reaching into the upper levels of the sky. Or you can have a lava flow similar to Kīlauea in Hawaii, which has outflowing lava continuously since 1983.

Thanks for the correction. :D

I have added a SAT photo of the volcano and the surrounding landscape:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=41911

You can clearly see how much of the area is subject to pyroclastic flows if a major explosive eruption were to occur!! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys.
As much as I'd love to be in the Philippines right now, I just got home last night at 3:30 in the morning after spending 5 days filming in the Cayman Islands and I won't be able to jet out there for the probable eruption.

I've been following the situation for quite some time but with Christmas here already plus the fact I have to send off my passport tomorrow to get a visa regarding another upcoming trip, I just can't travel right now.

As much as I try, I can't be everywhere. Good luck James, I wouldn't get too close to this one. Those exclusion zones are there for a reason.

George Kourounis
www.stormchaser.ca

Good day all,

Yup ... I hear you George - Politics (and the human limits) strike again ;-(

Have a good holiday!

James Reynolds has been chasing typhoons this year as Hong Kong is basically a quick (couple hours flight) to the Phillipines.

Always be reminded: "Distance is your best friend" ... Good luck!

Mayon Update

Here's an update on the Mayon situation:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiap...ppines.evacuate/index.html?section=cnn_latest

Another web site quoted an official saying that the "eruption" has already started since there is a lava flow going down the side of the mountain. (Good Call Bart!) :D Sounds like they are expecting the volcano to have an explosive outburst. :eek:

Good to hear there's a few people going to "chase" the volcano! :D

It would be extremely wise to keep a very respectful distance if Mayon does produce an explosive eruption (and it does have a history of doing that). Average speed of a pyroclastic flow is ~450mph (or ~66000ft/sec) and the temperature of the flow can easily reach 1000 C.

Would be quite impressive to see...and to check out the global effect of all that ash going into the stratosphere (take THAT, global warming!!).

Good day all,

...Average speed of a pyroclastic flow is ~450mph (or ~66000ft/sec) and the temperature of the flow can easily reach 1000 C.

You might have meant "660 feet/sec", that's 450 MPH.

Anyway, and unfortulately, such speeds are often higher than 450 MPH, some even approaching (or even exceeding) the speed of sound (750 MPH at MSL in standard temp)!

Initial speeds of the explosion in Mt St Helens in 1980 were about 700 MPH (near mach 1.0 at the elevation of the mountain). This slowed to (only) 200 to 250 MPH as it flattened trees MILES from the blast, which was lateral, taking out the north side of the volcano. This is full-on EF-5 tornado speeds, incase you are wondering, with sand (ash) whipping by fast enough to rip skin off.

Krakatoa's blast was more vertical (like Pinatubos), but reached mach 1.4 (or higher) at nearly 1,200 miles per hour. The sound was heard around the world. Imagine being 10 miles from that monster when it blew? Good luck.

Pinatubo-eruption.jpg

Above: Cameraman who shot this was praying hard - really hard ;-(

These events (pyroclastic flows) are something to be avoided, period. There is simply no time to move out of their way (even if you had an airplane). Temperatures of 1000 degrees C are possible, so any life in the way should be carbonized. They also contain abundant amounts of poison gas and little oxygen. The flow "elements" is not limited to hot dust, heavier-than-air gases, and ash ... There are often house sized boulders and rocks tubling along with the "flow".

Hello.

I arrived in Legaspi yesterday and have been plagued by quite a lot of low cloud obscuring the crater. Hoping weather will clear over the next few days. Here are a couple of pics I shot yesterday and video will be uploaded soon. I'm going to hang out here until it either blows or activity calms down:

Mayon%201%20large.jpg

Mayon%202%20large.jpg

Just watched your video, James, and the pictures are stunning. Something about volcanoes just gives me the creeps: give me a storm any day! Stay safe, 'hear?

Good day all,

Good stuff James ... I cannot judge the distance from the volcano, but it appears you are in a "relatively" safe area and on elevated terrain.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

I'm about 7 miles from the crater. The weather has cleared at last and I witnessed two secondary pyroclastic flows this morning at dawn, they didn't come from the crater so must have been spawned from falling debris. Sent ash cloud floating over west of Legaspi.

Hope to get more video online this evening local time.

Heading back to Hong Kong today so my coverage of Mayon is over for now. I'll be keeping my eye out for the Big Bang and if it looks close to happening I'll be back here!

Back