Video Editing - MPEG 1/2/4

Mike Hollingshead

It seems anymore, everything is some form of mpeg and it sounds like it's generally a bad idea to edit mpeg. For instance premiere pro 1.5 would capture and automatically transcode my HDV clips to a version of cineform avi. This worked fine. Then I had capture issues with the HV20 and wound up having to use windows movie maker to capture. I then had to strip the mpeg file out of the dvr-ms container. Only to then see just how much premiere pro did not like to edit those directly. Apply any sort of filter(saturation/lightness/whatever) and it would get clunky on playback in the timeline.

I could deal with all that. But what I couldn't end up dealing with was the banding issues I got for editing an mpeg directly like that. I went back and did the same clip, but let premiere pro transcode it to cineform avi and same editing and no banding issues. So I see editing mpeg is just not a great idea.

But everything today is captured in some form of mpeg. What are people doing to edit these correctly? I fear spending too much time making edited down timelines for chases if I'll simply have to redo them in some other format later.

Was about to upgraded to CS5, since 1.5 won't recognize cineform intermediate files. But I now see to do so I'd need a 64 bit version of windows! God I hate video editing crap.

Anyway, this post is half wanting suggestions and half pointing out the route I think I'm going.

It seems likely this is the best route to take...

http://www.cineform.com/neoscene/

Use that to convert clips to cineform and then plug those into the cheaper version of Vegas(cause I'm not spending $300 for CS5 upgrade if I also then have to get windows 64 bit too).

Hollywood producers rely on CineForm file formats for their editing and archive workflows because CineForm offers:

• the highest visual fidelity achievable
  • the fastest real-time editing performance
  • cross-platform compatibility with all major editing tools: Adobe CSx, Final Cut Studio, Avid Media Composer, and Sony Vegas
You see, camera formats are designed for recording, not editing. With Neo Scene you will convert your difficult-to-edit HDV, AVCHD, Canon 5D Mk II / 7D or T2i camera footage to CineForm AVI or MOV files and then benefit from the same theatrical quality and real-time editing performance as professionals.

Then hopefully Vegas Movie Studio Platinum(which I rather like the trial of so far) will use that and output the timeline into that same format. Then I'll do like always in the past and use http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html that for encoding into the DVD or Blu-ray mpeg file.

It sounds like having them in that cineform format will be good for later archiving uses too, as man, the number of formats is scary now. And each format can also have it's own "division" based off the camera maker.

Anyone else using that or have a good set of steps for editing these newer formats? Just from what I saw last year I really am hesitant to edit mpeg files on the timeline and try and spit that out as another mpeg for dvd or even a less compressed avi.

Back