Verizon Iphone 4 Versus Android LTE Phones

Decisions.. Decisions. I've been waiting just about a year for Iphone 4 to come to Verizon. I currently have an AT&T Iphone 3G and have been holding off to upgrade because I expected a better newer version to come to Verizon (at least as good or better than AT&T's Iphone 4) plus I believed I could save cash by sharing with my wife and daughter as they are still on Verizon (as I used to be). They both have Droid Eris smartphones. Now that the launch is here and the phone will be available I have my doubts for many reasons which I will try and enumerate.

1) The CDMA based Verizon Iphone 4 will not allow simultaneous talk and receive data. That was a nice feature last winter when I used my 3G Iphone to stream data via SevereStreaming of a winter snowstorm while talking to people on the phone. I consider the possibility of a Verizon Iphone would be as an alternate tethered phone while I chase as opposed to purchasing a month aircard plan as I typically do. However this limitation would be a bit of an issue for chasing.

2) I think the Iphone 4 on Verizon may be a hair cheaper for me because of the Family Plan, but I'm not positive. I'll have to see how they come out on unlimited data policy / cost as well as text prices, etc.

3) Possibly the biggest issue is the new Droid phones now appearing at CES which will be released supposedly 2nd quarter. Some of these phones sport 1gb of memory, dual processors, front facing cameras, ability to connect via HDMI or to dock with other devices, etc, etc! This could be exciting. The Atrix coming out on AT&T may be the phone to beat with possibly the closest Verizon competitor being the Droid Bionic.

Check out the latest tech headed for Verizon:
http://www.intomobile.com/2011/01/11/verizon-iphone-4-android-4g-lte/

Atrix which may be the phone to beat:
http://www.techlicious.com/blog/motorola-atrix-4g-smartphone-with-computer-like-power/

Here's an Apple Insider report about the possible downsides and comparison of Verizon Iphone 4 to current Droids:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...rs_scathing_critique_on_verizon_iphone_4.html

What do the rest of you think? What is the best chase option. Should I wait until Spring / Summer for the new Droids or perhaps a newer 4G Iphone LTE Iphone 5 or go with the existing options?

Droid Bionic.. No questions asked.. Android 4g phones are definitely far superior to the apple phones... Right now, Verizon has the "Smartphones Talk Free" promo.. So on any added lines that have the data plans, you get a 10$ a month credit..

I could talk on and on.. But... Android!

HTC Thunderbolt for me hands down! Dual Core Schule core! The HTC will be just as good as the Bionic and I much prefer HTC to Moto. I wont even comment on Apple, since its not even gonna be a contender. :D And yes, I have had an Iphone before to compare it to and Android wins hands down in my opinion!

I too am biased toward Android but do think the iPhone has it's strengths as well. I had been telling my friends who wanted to get iPhones right away to maybe wait until the iPhone 5 comes out because it would likely support 4G/LTE. However, that might not be so certain. According to a recent article on Engadget (right here), LTE is not in the cards for the iPhone 5. If true, that is complete insanity! Android baby...

HTC Thunderbolt for me hands down! Dual Core Schule core! The HTC will be just as good as the Bionic and I much prefer HTC to Moto. I wont even comment on Apple, since its not even gonna be a contender. :D And yes, I have had an Iphone before to compare it to and Android wins hands down in my opinion!

Ya, I will see what they end up costing... The bionic does have a higher resolution screen, but really, they are very similar.

Back