TVN Weather no longer streaming live

https://tvnweather.com/live

What streaming services are still available, and does anyone know if someone will take over where TVN letf off since the vast majority of chasers streamed with them?

I know of:

Severstudios
ChaserTV
stormchasingvideo

That's it I guess. There use to be imaptracker but they've been gone for years. I guess there isn't really a marketable way of maintaining a site dedicated soley to streaming live storm chase video since it's such a niche market.

Problem is, regardless of what chasers say, a BUNCH of people want to watch streaming but they don't want to pay a membership or even donate for the bandwidth and server costs. Online advertising is only lucrative enough to *maybe* cover bandwidth. The people you see running these services are pretty much taking it on the chin and maintaining these services out of the kindness of their hearts. They deserve a big kudos.

As for TVN, I still have no idea what happened over there but I'll suspect they cut their losses before the big Friday event so they wouldn't have to eat even more bandwidth costs. From a business standpoint they really pulled a boner, in my opinion. You don't just close up shop and screw your content providers like that. You never know though, they may have been turned off by their providers and had no choice. They haven't been well known for their success in business over the years. This is yet another example.

Just another part of storm chasing technology evolution. Too bad though, as I know multiple NWS and Emergency Management offices that monitored live streaming and TVN did a good job. Maybe the traffic will head over to one of the other providers. I never participate in live streaming for multiple reasons including my desire to simplify equipment and concentrate on other things. There are also liability pitfalls when you openly broadcast / record your chasing operations -- subject to assorted interpretations of actual events.

Edit: Watching live streams of the Wray, Colorado tornado on Severe Studios. Seems they are still up and running with an excellent user-friendly website.

Last edited:
We streamed on TVN and I kinda was blindsided when they suddenly stopped their streaming services. Server studios is now swamped with us orphaned streamers looking for a new home.
I did donate to TVN to help with costs, but apparently not enough. I know it's not cheap to keep things running. In the long term it may end up being a good thing with fewer providers. With fewer providers, there might just be higher traffic with higher ad revenues to make it self sustaining.
When I can't be out, I love watching other chaser's streams. It would really bum me out if that wasn't an option for me.. I don't want that to happen so I'm going to contribute what I can to keep streaming an option for me in the future. If you enjoy watching the streams, you might want to consider supporting them also

Sent from my iPad using Stormtrack mobile app

You can stream straight to Youtube now. There's no need to use anyone else unless you want to provide a simultaneous non-watermarked version for media clients. As everyone here knows, I can't stand running a stream, haven't done it in years and have no plans to do it again. As Steve said, streaming is basically a charity for all parties involved in producing it. Outside of the NWS, the ingrate audiences/consumers of streams don't deserve this kind of donated time and money for free entertainment, and I can't blame TVN or anyone for shutting it down. If Verizon ever offers unlimited data and I can use my existing dashcams for it is the only time I'll ever consider streaming again. Good riddance to the whole thing.

Last edited:
StormViewLIVE is another service that offers streaming. None of the sites are as good as TVN was, before the high traffic issues.

I wish TVN could have found a way to keep going. I think there were enough hardcore followers out there that would have been willing to pay for a subscription to keep everything going or maybe even come out ahead, but maybe not. I'm bummed out that it's gone though.

They could have gone the YouTube route and still have been able to display live feeds within a map AND monetize it. Having the following they do, they could still have made some money. Just odd.

They need to do some content filtering with their streaming to save on bandwidth. I don't know how many worthless streams people run of themselves like just driving to and from a target area. Unless you're actively on something, leave it off and save bandwidth for everyone. I typically only run mine for 2 reasons either showing friends back home when I'm chasing out a ways, or when I'm local to my large local following.

https://tvnweather.com/live

What streaming services are still available, and does anyone know if someone will take over where TVN letf off since the vast majority of chasers streamed with them?

I know of:

Severstudios
ChaserTV
stormchasingvideo

That's it I guess. There use to be imaptracker but they've been gone for years. I guess there isn't really a marketable way of maintaining a site dedicated soley to streaming live storm chase video since it's such a niche market.

You may want to look at www.tracknwatch.com

I see some great steps forward with the www.tracknwatch.com website with new weather overlays including a low level azimuthal shear layer. With the upcoming tornado season getting closer I have no doubt that sites like this are going to get a lot busier

Im not sure if anyone has seen the new www.tracknwatch.com site but it has come along laps and bounds. 1 sec tracking location intervals, OBS streaming, detailed weather overlay including wind rotation layer, social media links, web cam monitoring of key sites, and what the best feature is the ability to stream live video with 1 sec tracking updates from any Android smartphone up to 1280x720 (HD) NO expensive gear and all you need is an Android phone to report weather live for the world to see. Basically you can match what the professionals are streaming with no outlay whatsoever at no cost to the chaser. They are looking for chasers and we know they have substantial backing and resources so with no disrespect to the other sites, if you are looking for where TVN Weather left off this is worth looking at.

Back