tornado and hurricane armor?

I know from the discussion in another thread about the "Storm Chasers" show on the Discovery Channel that some forum members were amused by the use of helmets and other protective apparel in the TIV, but in terms of being a chaser or spotter or resident of a tornado-plagued area who wants to be prepared for a possible hit by a tornado (or extreme straight-line winds in a hurricane or severe t-storm), what are people's ideas or experiences with protective gear?

For instance, if you own a bike helmet or ski helmet and ski goggles, it couldn't hurt to bring it along if you're stepping outside of your car to take some storm pictures and some baseball hall comes thudding down eh? And with goggles the wind-driven rain won't blind you.

I wonder also whether some people have ever taken up some quasi-miitary or law enforcement gear to their chasing, whether in a tornadic storm or a hurricane. Wouldn't perhaps one of those bullet-proof riot-shields police officers use on occasion of unruly crowds be useful maybe?

I'm curious what people have actually used for protection, or why they don't do anything (unwieldy, seems pointless, embarassing, expensive, etc.), as well as what theoretically (or by experience) should do quite well.
For instance, what if someone wore a flak jacket (meant to deal with shrapnel rather than a vest meant just for limited calliberbullets?); wouldn't that help protect from flying debris pretty well? And if anyone has bought any particularly unusual gear, where did you get it? Other thoughts?

At the very least, Gene Moore's comments here below (between the hyphens) from the Corepunching thread about the need for safety glasses seem wise--even without a tornado, might be a good idea for driving safety anyway (whoops, there go the brakes, safety glasses on now . . . .).
---
Also, wear tight glasses, safety goggles or safety glasses. At least have them on the dash where you can grab them fast. I have been cut up and one of my chase partners went to the emergency room with glass in his eye. Baseball hail will shatter the windshield with tremendous force. Tiny shards of glass will fly off the inside of the windshield and completely though the vehicle.
---
[P.S. If there are any jokes, make sure they're funny ones!]

I saw a guy wearing a hardhat last May, but there was no impending danger where he was at the time.

Hurricane Chasing

I can't speak for the TIV guys, but many of the Hurricane chasers don't necessarily wear the helmet and goggle for debris protection. It is used a lot because of the stinging rain. Rain at 75 mph and higher really hurts. Nothing like getting sandblasted by beach sand at nearly 100mph. I did that during Hurricane Frances (2004) and it really, really hurt. I had lots of cuts and abrasions after that. Also, it's easy to get pushed over or fall while filming. It's a good idea to have protective gear for those reasons.

I didn't were them in the past, but next time I'm adding knee and wrist protection while I'm in a Cat 2 or higher hurricane.

For Plains Chasing, I don't bother with much. I figure if a 2x4 is gonna hit me, not much a helmet is going to do, but a helmet would be nice for running out and grabbing very large hail.

Personally, I have never taken anything for my "protection" against the storms I chase into the Plains with me and I never will. For me - the whole idea is to successfully intercept the storms I am chasing WITHOUT putting myself in any sort of danger.

Maybe I'm old-school, but just because some reality television stars present with goggles and helmets doesn't mean it's "standard issue" for everybody.

KL

For me, I protect myself not by what's on my head, but by what's in my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll bet if we listed some of the worst situations we've been in it will be after the chase so to speak. That is, you've finished the day, got your tornado, dodged the hail and it's time to go home. There is some compliancy after the storm is over, you're burned out and just want to get home, or find a motel. You look around and there is lightning in every direction....the All Hazards Radio is beeping like mad, that late wave just hit, what to do? Well, you sit it out, or pick the least destructive storm and go for it. If you haven't been in this situation I swear it's coming. And, depending on the roads, or flooding you may not get to pick your poison, nature decides what to put you through. The price for having a good day perhaps. Regardless, there will be flooded roads, hidden hail cores and high wind and you're going to have to deal with it. It's these times that throwing that hooded raincoat, flashlight or old motorcycle helmet in the trunk may make you feel a bit smarter.

Rather have than have not

This is one of those things that being safer is better. I wonder how many chaser bring a first aid kit with them, or a fire extinguisher. I never really thought about it before but the fire extenguisher will be a new one for me this year, since going home in 2006, came across an auto fire. Got good video, but much rather preferred to help than get video.

Slightly off-topic because I'm not speaking of chasing per se... but I don't have a basement, so whenever there is a serious risk of a tornado threat I make my kids go into the walk-in closet, and put on motorcycle helmets.
A little bit silly probably... but as a paramedic I've actually worked a few serious tornado-related injuries (including one fatality) and figure what the heck. My logic is this: if they wear helmets riding their bikes down the street or skateboarding, then why shouldn't they wear it when an EF2 is heading our way?

On the subject of chasing, I do own a flak vest (and a motorcycle helmet) and I must confess that even long before seeing the guys on TV wearing them, I had considered bringing it along. I was caught in the bear's cage of a HP storm once, totally blind due to torrential rain and 70mph winds, with debris fluttering all around us. I was a passenger in the vehicle, and wouldn't have minded having a helmet at that moment. ;)

The Tiv Guys pretty much made their own vehicles from the ground up and not every surface inside it is rounded. I think a bumpy road might be enough to potentially cause them some harm. I think that's why Sean Casey always wears one now.

As for myself.. yes missing flying debris would be my #1 priority but better safe then sorry isn'y really a bad idea when it comes to dealing with the power of mother nature.

I made this myself

robocop-792844bmp.jpg

Glenn, yours may hold up better than mine.
The first picture is before impact and the second was after impact. Nothing to do but pick up the pieces.

Attachments

• redman3.jpg
    redman3.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 72
  • redman2.jpg
    redman2.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 76
Back