• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

The Tornado Project

Thanks for the updates @Jamie H! I don't use social media anymore, so I was just checking his twitter periodically. Glad to see everything is progressing, and the price seems like a deal. Hopefully there will be enough copies available so no one is left out!

For anyone interested, the latest info is Tom will be taking orders April 15th. I would imagine he'll provide the necessary info on his twitter account on that date. I believe he mentioned he needs 200 orders to move forward.... I don't think that will be an issue though.

I completely forgot about the order date being April 15th, so when I checked today, I saw Tom had posted an update 2 weeks ago. The new edition is first come, first serve, and will be ready for order on June 20th. He is having 200 copies printed, which I believe is a woefully low estimate of demand based on what I've seen here, and on his twitter account. I'm hoping he reconsiders, or will do another run once he sees how many people are interested in obtaining a copy.

He also mentioned that he'll start working on the first volume once he gets the orders sent out for the second volume. I have my fingers crossed that there will be enough copies to go around. I certainly appreciate all the work he's doing, and wish him well as things progress.

Going to have to set an alarm for that day myself. Only 200 copies feels low, but I suppose it's a fairly niche book with significant costs involved, though I would have thought a Kickstarter would have been the way to go.

I'm guessing there was a change at twitter as I can no longer view Tom's page without having an account. I was able to find a workaround and see his tweets in a random order. Best I could tell, there have been several delays, and a tweet from mid July indicated he was adding a personal bio in anticipation of the UPS strike. Seems now he's only printing 100 copies, at least at first.... hopefully there will be more to satisfy demand if needed.

Still no info on ordering.... I'll update here for those interested if I come across anything new.

Orders are now live on the website. Of course I rushed to get one before noticing they aren't taking international orders, so I guess I'm stuck waiting for a refund and being sad about not getting a copy!

Good looking out @Jamie H and thanks for keeping up with his social media! I placed my order as soon as I read the first couple of words of your post, lol. Was there any info on how many copies he intends to print.... I never got any response to the emails I sent. If you're up for it, I can try to order another copy and ship it to you.

I ordered it a couple days ago and got an acknowledgement but they are still printing and will fulfill orders first-in first-out. Apparently he is also signing the book and you can ask for a specific message.

Good looking out @Jamie H and thanks for keeping up with his social media! I placed my order as soon as I read the first couple of words of your post, lol. Was there any info on how many copies he intends to print.... I never got any response to the emails I sent. If you're up for it, I can try to order another copy and ship it to you.

No problem Mark! He or Doris emailed me and I've decided to suck it up and have them add on shipping for me once they get the book and know what it'll be, but they expect it to be around $80 to the UK. It's something I'll treasure for the rest of my days so I'm going for it! It'll be even nicer hearing they'll be signed and as I was in early I should be guaranteed a copy!

I finally got my copy a week ago, and it's glorious, lol! Hopefully everyone who was interested got the chance to have their own copy. If you ordered one, and haven't received it yet, it should be on its way. Now I'm curious if we'll have the opportunity to purchase the first volume once it's completed, if that's even still the plan. Thanks again @Jamie H for keeping us informed of the updates!

Glad you've got yours! Tom was going to email me when he knew shipping costs but I imagine US orders are the current priority. I'll chase up in Jan and hopefully mine will be on it's way across the ocean.

It a very nice book. Got on the pre-order list and received my copy not long after it was off the printing press (around Thanksgiving). This is my entry into Grazulis' work. While it's a thick book, it's laid out pretty well to find information quickly once you're familiar with how the content is organized. It's a nice complement to my Tim Vasquez series of books that I picked up when I first got into storm chasing to learn more about weather and the hobby.

Back