Teeny Tiny Updraft

I thought I would share this, just to illustrate that you don't have to have a monster storm to get a striking sky image (if I do say so myself). This past June one of the few local storms of the season came up to my southwest and I went out hoping to meet it, from its northeast. (It was still a full county or so away and I hoped to get into position to see something as it slid by). Before I got to it, I saw this striking little updraft that was out in front of the storm, separated from it to the north. As it turned out, the storm I was targeting was dying and seemed to dissipate rather quickly although I got a nice mammatus display. But the images of the little updraft made the trip more than worthwhile for me. I hope you like it.

Full frame of "Teeny-Tiny Updraft" by ~Pixelsmithy, on Flickr

This image was taken with a Sigma EX 28mm f1.8 on a Pentax K-5. I thought the lens performed quite well, especially considering I was shooting into the setting sun.

Love it! Breathtaking!...I always categorize a sucessfull chase as so when I capture a couple of decent photogenic pictures.

Back