Swivel-arm camera mounts?

I'm on a roll with chase vehicle improvements this spring, so I'm about to tackle yet another thorn in my side: the issue of a stable camera mount inside of the car. I would really like something that has some sort of swivel arm that allows the camera to shoot out of the front windshield and either of the side windows. A static dash/windshield mount won't work, since that can't be effectively positioned to shoot out of the driver or passenger side windows.

I see quite a few variations of these available, but I'm curious of anyone has actually used one. One possible solution is a Jotto base with a tri-segment swivel arm, then a fluid video head mounted to that. I have enough material left over from the hail shield build that I may be able to just make something myself.

A while back I though about something like this. My idea was to use a desktop mic stand, then taking my old monopod and clamping it in where the mic boom goes. Then from there figuring out a way to fasten it to either the dash or have it stand up closer to the middle console.

The first place I'd go to is Ram Mounts. I've cobbled up some interesting mounts using their components. They have some very ingenious mounting components you can incorporate into your designs and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg (comparatively speaking) to a commercial mount solution. Hell, Boeing is one of their biggest customers.

Last edited:
What sort of camera are you using? If a GoPro, there is a suction mount that works well. I realize this can't be pivoted to multiple positions and you have to stop to reposition but ... Thing with anything that pivots is the further away from a pivot point you get (the longer the arm), the more moment (bounce, vibration, etc) you'll get @ the camera. That said, the closer to the floor and the center of the vehicle for the anchor point, the better to reduce roll and pitch movement

If you check out my Dash 2015 thread, you can see where I modified a suction mount and fixed it to my dase, but the arm allows for full 360 positioning. May not have the greatest angle of attach out the side windows, but incorporating a longer arm would solve that. As others have said, best bet, IMO, would be to start buying or using component level parts and fashioning something yourself that will suit your particular needs. Thats what I did and it cost me exactly zero dollars (since my suction mount suction-ability was crap anyway).

I've thought about attaching my dash cam to an arm attached to my laptop RAM mount. But even though the RAM mount is solidly bolted to the floor it still shakes on gravel roads and with an additional arm there's no way it'd be good for stable video. Aside from bolting directly to something metal in the dash I'm not sure there's a more stable mount than a suction mount to the windshield...but when you chase in a small car like me it's always in the way.

I'm planning on getting the head rest bar mount and using the head from my Vuaguard 283AT for control of my D7100. Its the perfect height to shoot level shots of cgs out of either side windw. Ill get some rain protection with it mouned near the center. If this works I can take better and closer lightning shots in a far safer manner. I need help on wiring a laptop and all these mounted cameras.

I have used swivel heads like this for years on my dash. This setup could use a bit more stability, but it gets the job done when the car is not moving. It has a quick release plate, but unfortunately the plate doesn't work on any other mount so I still have to switch out plates.

7c2868192b3b861d0a9dddf07560b0f9.jpg

I've thought about attaching my dash cam to an arm attached to my laptop RAM mount. But even though the RAM mount is solidly bolted to the floor it still shakes on gravel roads and with an additional arm there's no way it'd be good for stable video. Aside from bolting directly to something metal in the dash I'm not sure there's a more stable mount than a suction mount to the windshield...but when you chase in a small car like me it's always in the way.

Since I'm in Texas I also have to worry about them pulling me over for the crazy "no windshild mount laws" (I think Kansas has this insane law as well) My only defense that may work is mounting it near the windshield but not on it directly or in a place like my dash cam that does not block the view. Either way I have to say this law is crazy and I believe it makes driving even more dangerous. Its all about peripheral vision and if we were allowed to put our radar, GPS etc on our windshield we could see both and the road at the same time. As it stands now I have to turn my head just to glance at radar. Any set up for a camera is going to have to be a floor bolted mount, a head rest mount or maybe even a cup holder type set up. I just don't know of any good options and I'm not mechanically skilled enough to start boring holes everywhere. I really want the ability to roll down a window and to turn my camera outside without having to get out of my car to minimize lightning exposure when possible.

"The NTTA sticker blocks the windshield yet they being the tollway authority are somehow exempt" I believe the anti windshield law is being used to single out storm chasers.

Just so I follow - you're saying that the law (which appears to be focused on tinted windows) written in 1995 was done so to single out stormchasers? Why not attach it to your dash and not worry about the windshield?

Just so I follow - you're saying that the law (which appears to be focused on tinted windows) written in 1995 was done so to single out stormchasers? Why not attach it to your dash and not worry about the windshield?

Beware!... $105 citation for camera/mount on windshield

I wish this were the same law but I did find a good Stormtrack Forum covering something about the anti windshield mount situation.

You may have a work around by attaching to the dash instead if the windshield, I've already done that with my GPS but I have no such place for the radar. The other problem I have is with a DSLR or 4k video cam. Surely someone has invented a center mount, easy to install that has an arm for positioning to look out either side window. Designed with chasers in mind to minimize vibration. The advantages would be amazing, protected shots from lightning, rain - hail as long as its not wind driven.

Since I'm in Texas I also have to worry about them pulling me over for the crazy "no windshild mount laws" (I think Kansas has this insane law as well) My only defense that may work is mounting it near the windshield but not on it directly or in a place like my dash cam that does not block the view. Either way I have to say this law is crazy and I believe it makes driving even more dangerous. Its all about peripheral vision and if we were allowed to put our radar, GPS etc on our windshield we could see both and the road at the same time. As it stands now I have to turn my head just to glance at radar. Any set up for a camera is going to have to be a floor bolted mount, a head rest mount or maybe even a cup holder type set up. I just don't know of any good options and I'm not mechanically skilled enough to start boring holes everywhere. I really want the ability to roll down a window and to turn my camera outside without having to get out of my car to minimize lightning exposure when possible.

"The NTTA sticker blocks the windshield yet they being the tollway authority are somehow exempt" I believe the anti windshield law is being used to single out storm chasers.
Hmmmm, I've lived in Texas all my life and have never heard of that law not gotten pulled over for the multiple mounts affixed to the windshield.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Stormtrack mobile app

Check the state laws - in many states they are secondary offenses (i.e. you have to be pulled over for something more serious, and then they can tack this on.)

Back