Subscription-only articles posted to Stormtrack

rdale

EF5
ADMIN NOTE: This thread was extracted from the Silver Lining Tours thread and will cover hints/tips/tricks for posting articles to ST to subscription-only publications online.

Any chance of stopping these click bait / subscription links to the Washington Post?

It's a neat story, which is a far cry from "click bait"

It might be easier to just post a synopsis of the story for those of us who do not want to subscribe.

Sort of like suggesting that people who steal your photography work just post it in PDF format for those who don't want to pay you.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a neat story, which is a far cry from "click bait"

Sort of like suggesting that people who steal your photography work just post it in PDF format for those who don't want to pay you.

I was not suggesting that anyone re-post or copy the story. Not everyone here wants to buy a subscription for a single story. Sorry if I gave that impression.

@Warren Faidley if you want to stop the clickbait and subscription links, there is a free service to do so. Outline - Read & annotate without distractions is the one I'm referring to. Paste the article link in the box provided, and it will give you the article without the links or clickbait.

@rdale I get what you're saying, but online news articles should be free to read, especially when it refers to a topic of interest. I get that they're trying to pay for their hosting and what not, but there's no need to charge a subscription fee to read news online that was made public in the first place.

After working at newspapers, I can assure you they love it when people quote their stories. It makes people want to read the entire story and subscribe. Again, it's not right to hijack an entire story, I agree, but there is nothing wrong with a few quotes. I see them posted here on ST all the time. I also don't mind if someone copies a photo for personal use, but making a high res. copy for commerical purposes would be crossing the line. I'm guessing we are getting way off topic right now so maybe this belongs in a copyright discussion.

Warren only asked someone to post a synopsis, not to copy the entire article. There is nothing wrong with that, so the “PDF of a photograph” analogy is not appropriate. I don’t agree with Peter that articles “should” be free, but summarizing and article for others is no different than writing a book review.

From Alex’s post quoting the article: “We rolled three times.” I don’t know why, but when I first saw the picture of the van flipped over, I never thought of it rolling more than once before coming to rest. Imagining rolling three times is scarier than I had initially visualized.

If I read an occasional article from an online newspaper that has a limit on free views/stories, I'll use another browser to view any further stories from that paper, if I really need to. Of course if I end up looking at a lot, I just subscribe.

Maybe I haven't read enough articles on those sites, but I've never gotten any 'subscribe' clickbait.
It could also be that I don't allow them cookies, and/or that I have the 'NoScript' addon for FireFox.

Back