Streaming Equipment

Another thing to point out about the Verizon "cap" is that once you hit 5 GB, they don't just shut you off...they throttle your bandwidth down. So if you happen to approach 5 GB somehow (this is still hard to do) it's not the end of the world. You may not be able to stream as efficiently, but at least you could still pull radar from GR3, etc. And by the time you reached 5 GB, you'd most likely be close to starting a new billing period over and your transfer counter would be reset.

Jarrod - that's not correct. They charge you up the wazoo over the 5GB.

This is from the ToS if you go to Verizon's website and try signing up for a 5 GB plan...

"If your usage on a Data Plan or Feature that does not include a specific monthly Megabyte allowance or that is not billed on a pay–as–you–use basis exceeds 5 Gigabytes per account line during any billing period, we reserve the right to reduce throughput speed to a maximum of approximately 200 Kilobits per second for up to thirty days. You may assess and monitor your own data usage during a particular billing period, including during the Return Period under your Worry Free Guarantee, by accessing My Account online, or by contacting Customer Service."

If you sign up for their 5GB plan - you signed up for one with a specific monthly allowance. They are referring to grandfathered unlimited use plans.

"If your usage on a Data Plan or Feature that does not include a specific monthly Megabyte allowance"

If you have a 50MB or 5GB plan, that means you signed up for one with a specific allowance. It's 25 cents per MB if you excced that limit.

Ok, but what about the "or" they have in that paragraph? "...or that is not billed on a pay–as–you–use basis..."

That would include the monthly 5 GB plan wouldn't it? That is not pay-as-you-use.

I'm just saying what I was told ;) We have one system that was grandfathered, and that one they said would slow us down if we exceeded the cap. The newer one we were told anything more than 5GB would be charged 25 cents per MB, and if you go to their signup page it quite clearly says the 25 cent charge exists. So I can't imagine they would put in a contract that you will pay for overage, and out of the goodness of their heart not actually do it :)

Back