Skydiving instructor dies after hitting dust devil during jump

Randy Jennings

Supporter
(Gray News) - A skydiving instructor in California has reportedly died after a tandem skydiving accident.

According to multiple reports, Devrey LaRiccia Chase, 28, was on a routine jump with a student last Friday when they ran into a pair of dust devils after deploying their parachute.

“She missed the first one, and when she maneuvered around it, she hit the second one,” her husband, Freddy Chase, told KTLA. “She was about 25 to 30 feet in the air … it sent her canopy in a downward spiral.”

Devrey LaRiccia Chase and her student were left with no time to react and ended up slamming into the ground.

Both were rushed to an area hospital. The student reportedly suffered serious injuries while the 28-year-old instructor died.

Sad, tragic, but also a total fluke; a freak accident.

Crazy things can and do happen, but this is a 1:1,000,000 kind of happenstance.

Only the third U.S. fatality from I dust devil I believe. First one was in Lebanon ME on 5/19/2003.

Dust devil damage has revealed that winds can reach 75 mph in the strongest ones in the U.S.

I think a landspout destroyed the TMP era bridge

"A freak weather event completely wrecked the set beyond salvation, save for some parts such as the two turbolifts and the bridge platforms. This had necessitated the build of an almost entirely new Enterprise-A bridge set for Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. "

Back