shiloh MS tornado

this thread contains a little bit of information about the shiloh-mantachie tornado...this particular tornado is one of the strongest class tornadoes in the history of itawamba county...

very little is known about the storm...

i hoped to include a little more information then i have presented here about this event...but i will add more information, and take some photos when can...

i tried to get ahold of some archived level-2 data, but none of the radar sites have any data on the storm, exept for KBMX...and it is almost too far from the storm to be any use operationally...i have also talked to a number of my freinds who live near the actual housing development where the tornado come through, and their testamony fit very close with the LSRs on the event...

infact, some of the reports contradict eachother...stating that the tornado formed just before 11PM, with the NCDC quoting a 9:31PM time...

this one supercell storm is important to me personally, because we live only about a quarter mile from where the shiloh-mantachie tornado tracked, and the damage path is still visible...

since i wasnt there, and the reports contradict eachother...ill say that the tornado formed sometime between 9:30-and 11:00PM CDT near the lee-itawamba county line...it moved though the area just south and east of the small community of eggville, it tore up trees, moving through the heavily forested and hilled area when the tornado destroyed a trailer...the occupants were not injured, and there is no evidence whether they were there when the storm hit...

there is also no solid evidence of exactly what when on out there, but the tornado likely had skipped along through the area with a variable strength damage path with winds in the F-0/F-2 range...

the most signifigant of all the damage occured in a small trailer park/house development near the shiloh community...the exact location of this place is on county line road, on mantachie creek road...it hit alot of structures with F-2 damage, throwing pick-up trucks and cars around and completely leveling many trailers and houses in its path...

some people heard the tornado coming, and took cover in a stormhouse before it come in...one guy had a laceration to his leg, but aside from that...most people come out okay...one of my freinds, john waters was in his house on starling road, and said the power got knocked out...when he come out the next morning, he said he saw sheet metal, lumber and insulation all over the place on county road where the tornado had hit and told me that his freind was hit by the storm...

i never talked to his freind, but i asked other people around the area if they remembered the storm, but no one ever "saw" the tornado itself...

had the tornado traveled only an eighth of a mile south of where it tracked...it could have killed alot of people on starling road (where a major trailer community is located)

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=34.344428,-88.538132&spn=0.033874,0.05785&z=14&om=1

surprisingly it took along time for them to clean up all the damage...i moved to the house where i live now about a year after it happened, but apparently they had used bulldozers to make a couple piles of rubble (which have since been removed) however...to this day, you can still see an abandoned and damaged house deep back in the woods...it has been completely overgrown with trees and shrubs, and piled with sheet metal, boards and other such material...it is completely derelict...but you can still see the marks of where it struck...

by far the most definative signature is the actual path through the trees, which i hope to get pictures of soon...there is a corn field which permits a clear view of the treeline, which is on a hill...and you can see to this day the trees which are debarked and broken up...there is a clear, clean path that you can see...and i look at it everytime i go down that road...

i thought that the storm had formed with the line that came through that evening, but it did form from a discrete supercell...this is a very rare event for a tornado of that magnitude to form in the month of may here in MS...

if i can get some photos of the area, and the damage...i will post them here...

here are a couple links with the actual NWS reports...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll see if some of my buddies at the BMX and MEG offices can find a little more data on this event and get back to you. There should be some Level II data available from GWX. I think it was online at that time.

I'll see if some of my buddies at the BMX and MEG offices can find a little more data on this event and get back to you. There should be some Level II data available from GWX. I think it was online at that time.

thank you, brett...i really appreciate that...

im sure if you contacted the NWS office you might could find something...i used the HDSS access, and it wouldent get the images...

ill do what i can to get some photographs by the end of the week, but i aint gonna lie...i need to borrow my freinds camera, and i dont know if hes gonna let me use it or not...

Back