Ryan McGinnis photo on front page of Digg

"It's just photoshop. Clouds never get even close to that dark."

"What the hell? It takes more photoshop to make a cloud that dark than it does to make Jennifer Aniston look young on the cover of GQ."

some of the comments ... just ... lol

"What the hell? It takes more photoshop to make a cloud that dark than it does to make Jennifer Aniston look young on the cover of GQ."

some of the comments ... just ... lol

For a second there I was thinking "NO, they do get that dark!!!"...till I see you were quoting reviews from the site.

I had a good chuckle at this comment:

"exarkun15
23 hr 26 min ago: If this is the same storm I remember it passed right over my house. Funny, as it left town there were tons of people following behind it in their cars watching it. Awesome site to behold though."

of course the contrast was amped up on it. You usually have to do that and it shows in the grasses too.

It's a great shot. I like it.
So what if it was photoshopped; who doesn't?

The shot of the Vortex 2 crew in front of the WY/SD twister -setting up a pod- was my favorite of RM this year. That picture tells its own story/great content - imo...

Many new photog's out there from members of this site -this year- that have v a s t l y improved since last year. Although this year hasn't been the best chase season, I have seen many great photos. Great work. Wow - impressive...Seriously...

Awesome capture - now off to the cellar - I WISH!!!! None in my part of the Alley.

And yes, clouds DO get that dark. =]

Time to head to the storm cellar (PIC)
flickr.com — Vertical wide angle shot of a June 9 supercell near Dodge City, Kansas. Shot by Ryan McGinnis while travelling with Project Vortex 2, a two year science mission to study tornadoes.

http://digg.com/environment/Time_to_head_to_the_storm_cellar_PIC

Congrats on making the Digg front page. The comments are kind of uninspiring though.

Tim

Wow, just noticed this thread. Thanks, Tim! I like that picture a lot; it's funny, I can never really tell which ones are going to go viral. Some of my favorite shots hit the ground like a sack of wet mud, and some of my less favorites get tons of hits. In some ways, the internet is a great editor. Unless cats are involved.

*edit* On a funny note, out on V2 we were half-jokingly kicking around the idea of bringing a cat along next chase season and holding it up in front of each storm for a picture. INSTANT INTERNET MAGIC!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back