RI waterspout / funnel cloud rare

I grew up in Providence RI . I always looked up tornado pictures and books in the libraries . I got my degree at URI in earth-space sciences with several courses in meterology and weather.

Before I graduated from URI, I did a independent study tracking down and plotting all the tornadoes from 1951-1971. I got a lot of my data from the Center in Asheville, NC where I ended up in 1973 coincidentally. I was a tennis pro at that time and the building was right up the road. (there was only 1 report of tornado before that time I found in the newspaper and a few years ago there was a little one I think in Providence or nearby).

Needless to say I never came close to seeing a tornado in RI or nearby. I hated the weather. I don't ski (well a little cross country when I was in Michigan ) so I could care less about the snow.

I got closer when I moved to NC (Black Mountain and then Asheville), then MI (Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti) and then hit pay dirt when I moved to Kansas (Lawrence and Olathe, near KC) in 1981.

My mother told me there was a report of a tornado recently so I hunted down more information. (I could not really tell which day actually).

"Funnel Cloud /waterspout- Spotted Near Barrington, R.I.

Last Edited: Wednesday, 23 Jul 2008, 5:18 PM EDT
Created: Wednesday, 23 Jul 2008, 4:33 PM EDT

The threat of a tornado in southeastern Massachusetts has apparently passed, but that area and other portions of the state are still under threat of severe thunderstorms and flash flooding.

The National Weather Service canceled a tornado warning that had been posted earlier in the afternoon after trained weather spotters saw a water spout off Barrington Beach in Rhode Island.

There were no immediate reports of any funnel clouds reaching the ground.

The area remains under a flash flood watch until 6:15 p.m.

Meanwhile, the National Weather Service has posted a flood watch for portions of central and western Massachusetts beginning at 8 tonight and continuing all the way through tomorrow night.

The culprit is a slow-moving cold front that is expected to trigger a number of storms, some of them dropping rain at the rate of 1-3 inches per hour."

http://www.myfoxboston.com/myfox/pages/Weather/Detail?contentId=7047840&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=9.1.1

Hey Eric, this was actually a confirmed EF1 tornado which touched down over Narragansett Bay and moved a few miles across Rhode Island and into Massachusetts before dissipating. There are a few pictures of it while it was still over the water here; pretty cool looking.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...CORRECTED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
610 PM EDT THU JUL 24 2008

...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CONFIRMS EF1 TORNADO ON JULY 23 IN
WARREN RHODE ISLAND AND SWANSEA MASSACHUSETTS...
http://www.cape-crusaders.com/surveys/200807/080723_box.txt

EDIT: Here's the only related-YouTube video from the event, a FOX Boston newscast from Wednesday evening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBO3nodu9_I

Also, the NCDC has nine Rhode Island tornadoes in its 'storm events database,' the strongest of which was an F2 in Providence County the day before I was born in 1986.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back