Reportstorms.com

Personally I see two issues here that should be mentioned and addressed,

While in the field chasing, I do generally do not have time to write an essay/summary....during the heat of the battle I do not know of anyone who does. That said, would there or could there be a way to integrate icons, as in tornado, hail, wind or the like and just "click and drag" those icons to the appropriate postion on the screen to represent what you are reporting?

Also, my main concern(s) (and should be everyone's IMO), when you mention "even attach a movie or picture" this scares me.
I can totally see where this is heading, after spending much time in the media myself from market 76 to 66 to 55, I understand the dire need to get the video/pics that the local station is wanting so badly, and at some times willing to disregard copyright issues or credits.
So, after sending a video file or picture with your service and after all these tv stations pick up said video or pic.....who gets credit?
The tv station? Your product? And just who keeps the copyrights to the pics or video after you send them? Better yet, what happens to the vids/pics after sent? Does your company keep them on a server?

And of course we have not even mentioned the issues when the national media gets involved and picks up said video/pics from the local affil.
Is this not basically giving your video and pictures away?

We have had so many discussions about these types of issues on here and so many people ***** about how they got there video stolen or did not get a good price for it when the basic reason is because the market is flooded from doing this exact thing....and this to me is just another way to flood it even more.

No offense to you Andy, but these issues IMO, really need to be addressed before you start asking for video or pictures without consent forms or at least explaining just what happens to the video and pictures after they are sent and the like.

Just my opinion.

Lanny,

Thanks for the thoughts.

By brief description our intent was "Flooding at Mile Marker 44" or "Hail covering the road". Also the description field is not required. If you want to report an event it takes under 5 seconds to do so.

On your 2nd topic I think it's important to understand that reportstorms.com will being catering to a broader audience than just the spotter community specifically the general public. In my days working TV, I found that tv viewers would send in hundreds or thousands of pictures of snow or severe weather. Weather Central is trying to make this process much easier because right now the TV mets have to copy stuff from their email to their weather computers and then convert the image or movie to the proper format.

How you choose to deliver and charge for you photographs is always your decision. If you do want to send something to the media for use on air, there are multiple ways of approaching that from being a paid chaser for a station, to walking a video tape into a TV station and asking for a check, to emailing a picture without asking for anything. Reportstorms.com is just one of those ways.

Thanks,

Andy

On your 2nd topic I think it's important to understand that reportstorms.com will being catering to a broader audience than just the spotter community specifically the general public. In my days working TV, I found that tv viewers would send in hundreds or thousands of pictures of snow or severe weather. Weather Central is trying to make this process much easier because right now the TV mets have to copy stuff from their email to their weather computers and then convert the image or movie to the proper format.

How you choose to deliver and charge for you photographs is always your decision. If you do want to send something to the media for use on air, there are multiple ways of approaching that from being a paid chaser for a station, to walking a video tape into a TV station and asking for a check, to emailing a picture without asking for anything. Reportstorms.com is just one of those ways.

Thanks,

Andy

Respectfully, Andy you still did not answer my main question(s)
What happens to said video after it is sent using your product? Are the video/pics on your server and does it remain there? I am assuming since it is not a direct link to the "local" station that it is stored on a drive....what happens to that data? Who is responsible for it?
Since you posted here on ST seeking interested parties(chasers) to paticipate I was under the assumtion that it was geared more towards us so to speak, however; IMO it does not matter if it is a chaser/spotter or Joe public sending stuff in or through your product, they still have copyrights to what they shoot video or otherwise and should IMO always get credit.
Does your product allow such and again, just who is responsible for the video/pics after sent?

After many years in the media, I certainly understand your thought process as far a the broader audience, but again, this is another reason the market is so flooded.....things like Ireporter,
Weather Warrior and the like. I do not see any difference between your product and any of those which I am sure, we can all agree, has helped to kill the chance for a chaser to make a buck or two and help pay for his/her gas or whatever.
All the while your company and and whomever you partner with is making money off the hard work we chasers are doing.
I am not trying to sound like a jerk here and I truly mean no offense but, It never ceases to amaze me at how a company tries to make money off of someone else's doings and hard work....basically getting something for nothing IMO.

When I still worked at KAKE, Jay Prater and I had a wonderful system that we used for video, pics and such. It was called Ipixcel and it worked really good, I used it out in the field to send live vid/pics back as well as "store and forward" and Jay could also use the same program to link all pics/vid coming into the station from any number of sources including e-mail....All this without any questions or worry about the video or pictures.
Could your product be set up much in the same way?

Again, I do not mean any offense and I hope you have not taken it as such, but I believe that these issues are real and could be bad for the chasing community most particularly, for those of us that are lucky enough to make a sale of our video or pics on a regular basis.

Hey Lanny,

No offense taken at all. And it is your individual decision to submit something to the TV stations. I guess I view it as the same as if you were emailing a picture to a station. If you think that there is marketable value for a picture or movie, than I wouldn't give it away for free, or email it to a TV station. By submitting the photo you are giving Weather Central, and it's clients the shared copyright to display it on their website and in their broadcasts. ( I hope that answers your question directly, for more detailed info click on the Terms and Conditions link on the website)

Again we are trying to make a process that is already widely occurring (viewers submitting photos) easier for television stations to use on air, by porting them directly into their severe weather radar tracking system right on the map. The NWS LSR's take so long to come out sometime, and I do believe that having real time ground truth will be beneficial to saving lives.

Thanks again, and no offense taken at all.

Andy

Hey Lanny,

No offense taken at all. And it is your individual decision to submit something to the TV stations. I guess I view it as the same as if you were emailing a picture to a station. If you think that there is marketable value for a picture or movie, than I wouldn't give it away for free, or email it to a TV station. By submitting the photo you are giving Weather Central, and it's clients the shared copyright to display it on their website and in their broadcasts. ( I hope that answers your question directly, for more detailed info click on the Terms and Conditions link on the website)

Again we are trying to make a process that is already widely occurring (viewers submitting photos) easier for television stations to use on air, by porting them directly into their severe weather radar tracking system right on the map. The NWS LSR's take so long to come out sometime, and I do believe that having real time ground truth will be beneficial to saving lives.

Thanks again, and no offense taken at all.

Andy

Andy,
thanks for the quick reply and I will check out the "terms and conditions" on the website.
As far as chasers using this product, I have to say respectfully, that I would not be willing to use if required to send any video or pictures to any affill.
For Joe public though....I guess it could be useful in gaining "ground truth" for a given area.
Thanks again for your quick posts.

Andy,
thanks for the quick reply and I will check out the "terms and conditions" on the website.
As far as chasers using this product, I have to say respectfully, that I would not be willing to use if required to send any video or pictures to any affill.
For Joe public though....I guess it could be useful in gaining "ground truth" for a given area.
Thanks again for your quick posts.

Lanny,

I always like to hear all sides of it... so thanks.

Also keep in mind that people don't have to submit photos... just a severe weather report as text (Hail, Wind Damage, Tornado, Snow, etc).... so if that's all you wanted to send, It would still be valuable for a TV station to relay the information to could save lives.

Andy

This may be a redundant question, so I apologize in advance if it is. If I am already using SN and the reports from SN are going to be used in your network, what is the need or benefit of actually using ReportStorms. Isn't that a bit redundant and just something else to keep up with in a hectic situation.

While I like the idea,,,it makes me hold my breath a little.

We had a round of false reports last year that caused an investigation
by the FBI in some areas of the U.S. I hope this does not lend to this practice.

I still hold to the notion of "no report is better then a bad report".
Checking for accuracy, logging the reports and source is vital. You need to be
able to go back and find a report and get contact information.

I wish you luck with your effort and being that we are in Wx Centrals backyard
we hope to see positive results for the spotter community and the community as a whole.

Tim

I didnt know all the WFO's were taking storm reports from SN?

Tim

I'll let Tyler clarify - but I know they at least have them available. Not sure if it's automatically set up for all offices or if they have to do something on their side to have that happen.

I'll let Tyler clarify - but I know they at least have them available. Not sure if it's automatically set up for all offices or if they have to do something on their side to have that happen.

The SN has integration into the eSpotter system. However, the eSpotter system is not used by all offices. You can see a list of those that use it on the eSpotter website. Some of the offices use IEMChat, which the SN also integrates with. And some of the offices simply use the Spotter Network directly through the GR, SL, GoogleEarth or the website interface.

There is no single "in flow" system into each office, if that's what you are asking.

While I like the idea,,,it makes me hold my breath a little.

We had a round of false reports last year that caused an investigation
by the FBI in some areas of the U.S. I hope this does not lend to this practice.

I still hold to the notion of "no report is better then a bad report".
Checking for accuracy, logging the reports and source is vital. You need to be
able to go back and find a report and get contact information.

I wish you luck with your effort and being that we are in Wx Centrals backyard
we hope to see positive results for the spotter community and the community as a whole.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Everything is logged. We know the ip and email address of anyone that submitted a report and we have people monitoring the data feed as its coming in. If you believe that a report is inaccurate, you can flag it as so (bottom right corner of the popup when you click on the event). This will notify our moderating team immediately to check the event for validity and take action with the submitter if needed.

andy

I downloaded and installed the service. Very nice, easy to set up. I'm running Windows Vista on an HP Pavilion dv6000 without issue. I was just wondering if this is reserved for warm wx events or if winter reports will be accepted (i.e. snow/ice totals, real time depth measurements, precip types, changeovers, road conditions, etc.)?

All of the winter weather categories are there. If you see a category type that you think should be added..... please let me know!

Andy

Back