Report false storm info, go to jail?

It will be interesting to see what comes of this. Jail time would likely be highly dependent of multiple factors, especially taking into account the nature of the report and the offender's previous criminal record and/or record of falsifying severe weather reports. My bet would be that this incident, if successfully prosecuted, would result in something like a "stiff" fine (over $1,000) and possibly probation.

I am really surprised this has not happened more often. It is so easy to falsify a report, especially if anyone has just a tiny bit of knowledge. I bet if the story garners more attention in the media, it'll feed those who think it's cool to do the same thing, regardless of the law or jail time.

Deliberately report false storm info, go to jail? Absolutely!

This is no different than a false fire alarm or a false police report. I hope they do throw the book at whoever did it. It would be one thing if it were simply a mistake by a well meaning citizen, but to deliberately file a false report, especially if it takes time and resources away from legitimate warnings being issued is and always should be unacceptable. Cuff 'em and stuff 'em!

This is no different than a false fire alarm or a false police report. I hope they do throw the book at whoever did it. It would be one thing if it were simply a mistake by a well meaning citizen, but to deliberately file a false report, especially if it takes time and resources away from legitimate warnings being issued is and always should be unacceptable. Cuff 'em and stuff 'em!

And while we're at it, put them in the same cell as the morons who keep calling 911 when their local fast food joint runs out of chicken nuggets!

i think jail is a bit extreme, especially considering Cleveland Browns receiver Donte Stallworth received only 30 days of jail for killing a man while driving intoxicated with a BAC of .126

but it should be a $500 fine, and attending a mandatory spotter training class, so one doesn't much such a stupid mistake again, and 100 hours of community service serving as a spotter for his/her community.

i think jail is a bit extreme, especially considering Cleveland Browns receiver Donte Stallworth received only 30 days of jail for killing a man while driving intoxicated with a BAC of .126

but it should be a $500 fine, and attending a mandatory spotter training class, so one doesn't much such a stupid mistake again, and 100 hours of community service serving as a spotter for his/her community.

Agreed, but he must have the necessary equipment to storm chase. A backpack, a road map, a battery powered weather radio, and a bicycle. enjoy.

Agreed, but he must have the necessary equipment to storm chase. A backpack, a road map, a battery powered weather radio, and a bicycle. enjoy.

I said nothing about chasing. I said spot. you can be a spotter without having to chase.

go sit on a hill, and watch.

LOL! Spotting Barney Fife Style!!!

We reported a tornado a couple of years ago...and had eyes on it, saw it very clearly....but were not trained or on any spotter list...so the report was not taken seriously. We got a simple "OK, thank you." and they hung up. Now, we're on the weather net, and easily identifiable...and we are taken much more seriously.

Wonder if the "Category 2 on the EF scale" bit might have given a clue??

When a report of rotation was phoned in a couple of weeks ago, net control was asking us spotters for confirmation. Nothing gets to the news station until it gets confirmed. People call in reports all the time around here....such as the "wall cloud" that was actually a simple lowering from the end of a shelf. I'd have been a bit freaked out by it too, had I not been trained. It was a very ominous-looking cloud...but there was no rotation in it.

I just can't see putting something on the news that has not been confirmed. Were there not any recognized spotters in the area? Do they not use SN around there? Maybe they should!

We went to KS last week and couldn't believe there was not a spotter radio net in the area...but that's no excuse, since I could look on SN and see the reports....

I think the obvious hoax calls/emails (especially the email with the photo) should be punished in some form, that's for sure...but then, what if someone actually sees a tornado and is afraid to call it in because they're afraid of being punished for a false report??

Do you REALLY want someone convicted of sending false weather reports to do community service as a storm spotter? That would be like having a person convicted of DUI do community service tending bar at the VFW post lounge.

I think the obvious hoax calls/emails (especially the email with the photo) should be punished in some form, that's for sure...but then, what if someone actually sees a tornado and is afraid to call it in because they're afraid of being punished for a false report??

The U.S. Attorney has made it clear, via quotes in the newspaper, that people who are simply mistaken will not be considered for prosecution.

False severe wx/tornado reports should be treated like a false police report. Any fines should be in the amount to cover city, state and any other resource expense.

...but then, what if someone actually sees a tornado and is afraid to call it in because they're afraid of being punished for a false report??

It's not going to be (at least one would assume) applied to those who are mistaken, but to those who intentionally...aka for thrills or to get their name on TV...call in misleading information. I think that a lot of us are familiar with a couple of infamous events that have occurred in Oklahoma.

I always say... an eye for an eye.

Jail time for a false severe report? What does that teach you?

I say the person that made the false report should have to endure exactly what they reported. (when it occurs at some later date)

Naked and shelterless.

Hi All, it's been awhile for me (no, not THAT....I mean, responding on S.T.).
What does tossing somebody in jail for purposely filing fraudulent spotter reports teach them?? From my viewpoint.....it'll teach them that IF you commit that infraction again....you'll be incarcerated. Simple as that.
For a first offender......hit 'em in the wallet. If I were the judge...I'd say somewhere between a $500 to $1000 penalty. If the "perp" does not have the ability to pay....set them up on the Easy-Squeezee monthly payment plan.
Repeat offenders: Anywhere from a weekend in jail...with no work release...or more time...depending on the severity of the infraction.
If the problem of fraudulent reports becomes more widespread and my "laws" were to become reality...I would definitely splash them up on a billboard or three prior to severe wx. season. I would also press for the local news networks to educate the public at the same time.
Whoever said it was right on the money in my book. Fraudulent reports have a very real potential to displace EMT's and LEO's away from areas that truly need their help.
I say....nip this problem in the bud before it gets out of hand.

Back