Record TN rainfall?

I would have to say this is the first time I have ever seen a "Flood Emergency" for a county. Also nearly the entire state of TN is under a civil emergency message. Has anyone heard of a flood emergency before? I would think times like Katrina there were good chances of it.
Looking at some of the storm totals for western TN, they are absolutely ridiculous! nearly 15"!

Storm Total rainfall for western TN:http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=nqa&product=NTP&overlay=11101111&loop=no

Civil Emergency Message:
http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=meg&wwa=civil%20emergency%20message

Chip

yep. S.Dakota, Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, and Minnesota I believe all had Flood Emergencys during the Great Flood of 1993, when the Platte, Missouri, and Mississippi Rivers (and many other rivers as well) swelled to more than 10 times their natural widths from April 93 to Oct 93. Most towns were at minimum under 10' of water for months on end.

I was just 13 when it happened, but the images are still vivid in my mind as if it happened only yesterday.

There are some very impressive two day rain totals coming from many CoCoRaHS observers across western Tennessee. Some of the highest totals I came across were:
16.57" in Haywood County (1 mile southeast of Brownsville, TN)
17.02" in Madison County (4.7 miles northwest of Jackson, TN)
17.73" in Benton County (4.5 miles northeast of Camden, TN)

These are two day totals starting at 7:00am CDT on April 30th and ending at 7:00am CDT on May 2nd. The precipitation map is available here (click on each state for a larger view).

All sorts of records out of Nashville, TN. Just a couple of highlights from the RECENT PNS regarding the event:

+ Sunday's total of 7.25" of rain is an all-time single-day rainfall total for Nashville
+ Saturday's total of 6.32" is the 3rd most all-time single-day total for Nashville
+ The 13.57" 2-day total is nearly double the previous 2-day record total
+ May 2010 is already (only 2 days in!) the wettest May ever and the 5th wettest month ever (well, dating back 100 years or however long we have reliable records from there)

Refer to the linked PNS for more... Ridiculous.

I live in North Georgia, and we saw incredible flooding last fall, but NOTHING like what I am seeing out of Nashville!

The photos are incredible and heartbreaking.

The damage in Nashville significant but luckily it seems the river is cresting at around 52 feet. Flood stage is 40 Feet. The Army Corps of Engineers have been doing controlled releases from all the dams in the area trying not to make anything worse.

As far as me and my family luckily we did not flood but we have been busy trying to help others.

Rich

The damage in Nashville significant but luckily it seems the river is cresting at around 52 feet. Flood stage is 40 Feet. The Army Corps of Engineers have been doing controlled releases from all the dams in the area trying not to make anything worse.

As far as me and my family luckily we did not flood but we have been busy trying to help others.

Rich

unfortunately those controlled dam releases caused areas in nashville to flood that wouldn't have flooded had they not released the dam on Sunday night.

The USACE waited entirely too long to make the decision to release the dam, and I believe had they released it Saturday afternoon in sporadic periods, it would have alleviated the rivers enough to prevent some of the major flooding we saw, but i heard a report on the radio that said they were worried about killing off a lot of the fish due to the differences in the water temperature that was being contained by the dam and the difference in the water temperature where the dam releases to. Not to be rude or harsh but I think life and property are just a little bit more important than some damn fish. fish will re-populate, human life and property won't.

Once again these so called Corps of Engineers fail us yet again, as they did in The Midwest in 93, and as they did in New Orleans with Hurricane Katrina 2005. You figure the government might actual grow a brain and quit using this sad sack of organized failure and actually get someone who knows what the hell they are doing to manage situations like this.

This is a link to pictures of a good friend of mine's house off Briley Pkwy and McGavock Pike, that would not have flooded had the USACE made their decision Saturday afternoon rather than Sunday night when there was no other choice.

http://gallery.me.com/mmustangsrus#100010/DSC01456

Back