Reaction to a waterspout on Brazilian Beach

There are numerous videos of this waterspout approaching the beach resort, but this one is the best for watching the reaction of the people. A couple run, but the rest stand around while a group actually gathers in front of the circulation... what were they thinking! And yes I know the video is vertical.

Thanks @Gene Moore , I really enjoy waterspout landfall videos.

I'm a pretty big pansy out on a chase, but I've always imagined walking out into waist height water in front of a waterspout, ducking down so only my head was out of water, getting a big breath, and letting it pass over. Obviously the quick passage probably wouldn't stir up the water you were in very much, and since it was coming from the ocean there wouldn't be any debris. All in all, I bet it's totally doable. Still doubt I would go through with though, out of lightning fear.

DON'T TELL ME NONE OF YOU HAVE EVER THOUGHT ABOUT THIS!!! :)

I videotaped one of those rascals making landfall on Lake Michigan a hundred yards north of me a couple years ago. It didn't look particularly dangerous. Next time around, if I there is a next time, I'll beach-punch that sucker and let it sandblast me.

Looks like a few of them got beach stompped for sure.... I personally would have loved to have been sitting on a jet ski near this with a GoPro. Some I'm thinking that there is a difference in the intensity between the land breeze type of spouts we see on Lake Michigan and the actual type of storm (not sure it was super cellular) which drive this one to shore?

I'm thinking that there is a difference in the intensity between the land breeze type of spouts we see on Lake Michigan and the actual type of storm (not sure it was super cellular) which drive this one to shore?

The spout I saw was of the cold core variety and formed in the early afternoon along some kind of shear zone as a shelf cloud moved overhead. It didn't look very intense, although I wouldn't have wanted to encounter it in a boat--or, for that matter, on land with a bunch of beach umbrellas flying around. Debris is a concern with even a relatively Milquetoast vortex. But having sampled a gustnado in Nebraska some years ago, I'd enjoy another good sandblasting out in the dunes--depending. A spout like the one I witnessed by Holland, MI, probably wouldn't even knock me down, though if it did, all the more fun. . A mesocyclonic spout, on the other hand, no thank you.

Just for kicks, here's my footage of the Tunnel Park spout. I counted three at that location. This one was closest and the one that made landfall.

Back