Rapid Refresh Grabber for Android!

Hey guys,

I wrote a little android app that lets you pull up HRRR forecasts on the go. Here's the description from the market page:

A quick and easy way to access Rapid Refresh weather forecasts on the go! Ideal for storm chasers and meteorologists.

Rapid Refresh lets you see the storms before they happen. Using a simulated reflectivity model, HRRR predicts where and when storms will take place, as if viewing them on radar! This app makes it a snap to get these product runs, with minimal time and data usage.

-Access all HRRR products and zoom levels
-Jump forwards and backwards through time while viewing runs
-"One Click" shortcut buttons to quickly see what's ahead
-Custom runs list to view any run from the past 24 hours

Check it out and let me know what you think!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.monkeyjoebla.rapidrefresh&feature=related_apps

Thanks,
Eric

Just bought it. Would love for it to also support landscape mode and if you cab grab ruc/nam/gfs you'll be my hero ! Ill even crack open the wallet to help fund development. now having said my wish list, I love the app and have been playing with it all day.

Jason
Luck favors the prepared

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it :D

Landscape mode will definitely be added in the next update. I've thought about adding other models as well, but that'll take some work. We'll see what the future holds!

Outstanding my man. Can't beat the price! That's even easier to use than their website! 10 more votes for the Landscape mode....before the next chase day! LOL

Got it last night. Although I haven't had much time to get in depth with it, but it's already worth the price and is much easier to use than the web site. I also would be willing to pay a little more as development progresses.

Object not found!

Error 404

Getting this when attempting to pull the 12z images for composite reflectivity (for any time frame). Also getting it on prior runs at intermittent times.

Edit: A limited set of data is available due to network or supercomputer problems.
We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

Could have something to do with it, will check it later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for the nice comments!

Object not found!

Error 404

Getting this when attempting to pull the 12z images for composite reflectivity (for any time frame). Also getting it on prior runs at intermittent times.

Edit: A limited set of data is available due to network or supercomputer problems.
We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

Could have something to do with it, will check it later.

This is definitely it, HRRR is experiencing a big outtage right now. If anyone's been getting lots of 404s this morning, this is why! Hopefully it'll come back online soon...

Eric,

I tried to download the app to my Motorola Xoom (Running Android 3.2 OS), but it came back with "No supported devices." Is your app just intended for use on only Droid phones?

Eric,

I tried to download the app to my Motorola Xoom (Running Android 3.2 OS), but it came back with "No supported devices." Is your app just intended for use on only Droid phones?

That's strange... it should work on tablets as well. I have the Motorola Xoom under supported devices so it should recognize it, but maybe its still filtering it out somewhere. I'll go investigate.

BTW, updated with landscape mode and an HRRR Server Status Checker to retrieve and display server errors, like the one we're having today.

I use it on my galaxy tab and my epic touch with no issue. For some reason I can't rate it in the market, but excellent work, landscape mode is a great addition!

Jason
Luck favors the prepared

Works great on my Droid 3. Had a few hiccups when the server was up, as my Droid clearly didn't feel like showing the map, but my Droid is also a diva.

I look forward to using this app a lot when I start to storm chase as well for when I make my own forecasts for my respective area.

It is much easier to use than their website. I'd like to see more products on there, specifically CAPE and shear!

Those are in the hourly runs right? Right now I'm just sourcing from the 15min runs, but I may add the ability to switch to the hourlies next, which should open up all of those products. Just gotta get a user friendly way of doing it.

Eric,

I looked into this, the only thing I'm filtering against is by country, so that people outside of the U.S. don't see it on the market. Is your device registered as being here? If not that could be what is causing the issue.

Thanks again guys!

Eric,

I finally downloaded it. My Xoom had not been updated to the Google market.

I finally downloaded it. My Xoom had not been updated to the Google market.

Sweet! Hope you like it.

I can now say the program has officially been downloaded over 100 times! So... thanks for that!

Next update will be adding 56 new products to the list, including cape and shear. I've also greatly improved the responsiveness and speed of the actual image viewer, as well as added 15 minute increment buttons on select products. I should be rolling this update out in the next day or so, depending on if I add anything else.

Back