QuickView Weather

bbryan

Enthusiast
Hi! My name is Bryan and I'm new to the boards, but have been a lurker for a long, long time (also was a subscriber to the original print magazine at the end of it's print run). Anyway, I'm excited to be a part of the StormTrack family now!

So, for my first ever post on the boards, I wanted to let you all know about a software package that I have created called QuickView Weather. It's a simple application that gathers current weather conditions for a selected location and places it in a "one-stop" location.

Some key features include...
* Tray icon with the current temperature (includes temp trending identification, as well as alert and old report formats)
* Current radar (static NWS images from the Ridge system) - portions of the radar image are chopped to display in other areas as well, such as the new conditions update tip
* Current satellite (from GHCC) that is centered on the lat/lon location of the selected station. Can be Visible or Infrared
* Alerts have limited functionality at this time, but any watch/warning/advisory that is available for your selected area will be available for viewing
* Current forecast for a user selected location (text and graphical)
* Temperature/Dewpoint/Wind(+gust) live and 3-day history graphs
* Custom color table capability for the radar (includes being able to change the background color of the radar image)

Best of all, it is very customizable and as the product matures, will become fully customizable (down to the user interface level!)

The program currently only supports US stations that are included in the NWS conditions releases.

So, what does this awesome program cost and where can you get it? :) Well, the website is located at...

http://www.geocities.com/quickviewweather/index.html

and the price per license is $15.00. I'm using PayPal for the payment method, and the application is DRM free! No keys or anything. You buy it and it's yours. There is not a demo at this time, but if you're unsure after looking over the site, use the contact information on the website and we can work something out.

Also, keep an eye on the page as more weather related applications and even some time-waster games will be posted at a later time.

Thanks for taking the time to consider this!

Bryan

Do you have a demo version?

Generally, I won't buy software if I can't try a demo of it. I can't see myself paying any amount of money for software I've never even been able to try to see if it's something I like or even does what I want. Many people are the same.

I don't have a demo right now - it's something I'm trying to work out a solution for. Since I'm not using software keys or any kind of protection, it's basically got to be a special build of some kind with a timeout that cannot easily be overridden.

For now though, if you contact me through the e-mail address on the page I can get you a temporary trial until I get the full demo ready to go if you're interested.

Thanks!!

I do now have a demo version of the software available. It's a 14 day trial and so head on over to the site and check it out!!! :)

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

Due to a change in the format of the conditions file that the NWS provides, the original website for QuickView Weather was taken down (well, that and the fact that Geocities is going away in a couple of months ;) ) Anyway, the program is now compatible with the new format, and a new website is available for the program. The new location is... http://quickviewweather.tripod.com/index.html

Even if I do say so myself :-D, it is a pretty nice program. I use it daily on my work pc, as well as on my home pc - and it's nice to be able to have a no-frills, no-bloat, no spyware application that does exactly what it sets out to do.

There is a 14 day, fully functional demo version available on the site so that you can try before you buy. Also keep in mind that this is a V1 program, so there will be plenty of changes and additions still coming. Since all updates within a version bracket are free, you will get a lot of "bang for the buck".

Sound interesting? If so, please head on over to the site and check it out. If you have any suggestions and/or comments - please be sure to send a message along. I would really like to know what I could do to make the program better.

Back