Question about Verizon MiFi

Matt Hunt

EF3
Sorry, this is kind of an amateur question, as I'm not really up on the latest technology, but for these MiFi devices, would I be able to purchase a used device and still get it activated on a pre-paid plan through Verizon? I noticed on the new one directly from Verizon, there is no charge for activation, but not sure if that would be the case on a used device as well? Thanks!

From what I've read, if you're buying a used device from someone other than Verizon, your safest bet is to sign up for month-to-month (rather than prepaid) service. When I was researching my options, I recall at least an implication that only specific Verizon-issued devices were eligible for the prepaid plans, but it was never made completely clear.

For month-to-month, there's a $35 activation fee, but the rates are a little cheaper which helps to offset that. Obviously, you will not be under contract if you bring your own device. If you keep service on for March-June and need 4 GB/mo., you end up paying about $235 ($50/mo. + $35 activation) for month-to-month, vs. $240 ($60/mo.) for prepaid. Personally, I've been quite happy using their month-to-month service the past two years.

Thanks Brett! The website is pretty vague, but it does say you can bring your own device, and that not all devices are compatible with the pre-paid plan, but doesn't specify which ones are or are not. I'd probably get the same one, but I've found it cheaper (even new) elsewhere than directly through Verizon. I didn't see a month-to-month option, but maybe it's hidden in there somewhere? I'll only need it for one week in April, and a half-week in May, though, at least for this year.

I'm going to second what Brett said about the plan. If I recall from the first time I got a data card (bear with me, may not be right, but I hope it makes sense) prepaid is only for Verizon's "Network" so if you are on a partner's tower, you will be paying roaming. Month-to-month gets you access to the partner towers without a roaming cost.

Here's the difference:
Prepaid (note the area's with roaming costs)

Month-to-month (most roaming areas are now covered)

Of course I could be totally wrong (or the Verizon guy was just trying to get me on a month-to-month plan). Hope that helps with the plan part.

Yep, you're right, no roaming on pre-paid. But this year pre-paid probably makes more sense to me. I could probably get by with just the one week plan, since I'll only have 2 isolated chases, neither even lasting a full week. I've hardly ever gone over 500 MB of data on my phone, even with chases thrown into those months, so I think 250 MB would be fine for a 1-2 day chase trip. I'd just have to use my phone for back-up in those roaming areas.

Back