Pentax K-5 - Official Announcement and Specs

16.28 effective mp
7 FPS
ISO 100 and ISO 12800. Expandable from ISO 80 to ISO 51200
16:9 Full HD proportions (1920 x 1080 pixels) at 25 fps
HDR (High Dynamic Range) function
Electronic level

The K-5 features a new-generation, wide-frame SAFOX IX+ autofocus system with 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle). This sophisticated AF system has completely redesigned optics, and factors the light source at the time of shooting into its calculations to improve the accuracy of autofocus operation.

Thanks to the inclusion of 77 special seals in the body, it also boasts a dustproof, weather-resistant and cold-resistant construction, assuring reliable operation even under harsh environment and at temperatures as low as -10°C. It also features a reliable shutter unit that provides a top shutter speed of 1/8000 second and the outstanding durability to withstand as many as 100,000 shutter releases.

The K-5 features the PENTAX-developed SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, which effectively compensates the adverse effect of camera shake by 2.5 to 4 shutter steps, to produce sharp, blur-free images. This innovative mechanism works with almost all PENTAX interchangeable lenses — even those designed for film-format cameras.

The specs sound great! Any idea of the price range? I'd like to see what kind of flexibility there is with the in camera HDR functionality. Same with the Canon that does in camera HDR.

James

Still no GPS!

Come on Pentax!

Sticking with my K-x and K200d.

With our luck they will announce a lower end camera with the GPS like they did the K-x with the better sensor.

love the HDR function, wish the Canon camera's would institute that. Wish it was on my new 5D-MkII...:( maybe someday Canon will get it on their cameras.

I have not had the great results I had hoped from the Pentax HDR function. I did have one day where I did a ton of HDR was Bowdle and I lost my SD card somewhere.

I like the Pentax stuff because traditionally you get more bang for your buck, but the MSRP of the k-5 is close to the same as it's Canon counterpart

Well its been out a bit and the results are coming in.

DXO is rating it higher than the Canon EOS 5D Mark II and the Nikon D700 Full Frames. This thing is smoking hot in the DR and noise department.

As far as its supposed competition the Canon EOS 7D and the Nikon D300 ..... It just beats them to death.

I'm in the market to buy my wife and I our first DSLR. The enthusiasm I get from you, Darren, and Scott has me pretty much sold on the Pentax model. I am currently looking at the Kx since it will be our first time to the rodeo, but what sold me is reading through all of the old threads written by you three. I might be asking some questions in the near future, so I hope you guys will be willing to help me out.

I own and love the K-x (which is a lot of bang for the buck for a grand less than the K-5) but the K-5 is suddenly in the discussion for The Best APC-S DSLR out there (of any brand).

Check out the impressive Dynamic Range in this shot, accidentally underexposed by 8 stops:http://grumpyjohns.com/index.php?module=article&action=view&article::article::id=182

As the author states, that's "wicked" dynamic range in the RAW file.

This camera has a Sony Exmor sensor at it's heart, and frankly that blows the doors off of the old Samsung sensor. If I owned a K-7 I'd be selling it quick while values are still fairly high for it, because the K-5 is waaaaay more than a minor upgrade. I'm considering selling a kidney and making the K-x my 2nd body. :)

Mark, I guarantee you will LOVE the K-x. There is no camera in it's price range that even comes CLOSE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really need to stop looking at stuff like this. I'm seriously considering selling a kidney.
ISO 51,200
"This file was processed with ACR and Denoise in a SINGLE PASS!
No layering, no masking, no fancy-shmancy anything."

Just an FYI for potential K-5 buyers.....

Over the past few weeks reports have surfaced about possible stains on the K-5 sensor. There have been numerous cases (over 25%) of users noticing the small stains mainly when shooting at f16 and above.

The issue has been widely documented and Pentax is replacing all defective units per the warranty. You can find more info at PentaxForums.com in the K-5 section: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/. There are several threads in the K-5 forum discussing the sensor stain issue.

I'm a Pentaxian and proud K-x owner so not trying to bash Pentax at all. Plus, I'm actually planning on upgrading to the K-5 when the 18-135mm kit is available in the US (and the sensor stain issue is resolved) :D. The K-5 and 18-135mm is 100% weather sealed making it perfect for chasing in extreme weather conditions.

Back