Opinions on this carbon fiber tripod....

My only opinion is that I like HEAVY tripods. The one I have now is a slik, and it is a brick. Tough to lug around, but it doesn't move in even strong wind. Back packing with it may not be too practical, though. ;-)

My only opinion is that I like HEAVY tripods. The one I have now is a slik, and it is a brick. Tough to lug around, but it doesn't move in even strong wind. Back packing with it may not be too practical, though. ;-)

Yea, the two Bogen tripods I own are not exactly hiking equipment. I keep telling myself that I need a carbon one but then I look at the price. Personally, I will likely stick with a Bogen (or at least Bogen head) since I am using that plate on everything and don't want to change. I figured someone might know something or be interested in a cheap carbon fiber one. I also know Adorama makes their own decent carbon fiber tripod.

Graham

There is more to the construction of a tripod than simply the material from which it is made. Buying on price is often the surest way to disappointment. People see the words "carbon fiber" and the price and their eyes light up. But I think a little research is in order.

I had a hard time finding reviews for this particular model, but see that it is discontinued (thus all the outlet places that now have it). In the absence of reviews of the particular model, back the scope of your search out a bit. Say "Sunpak" & "carbon fiber": A very unhappy review (singular) of a similar model: http://www.amazon.com/Sunpak-Carbon-Panhead-Release-Supports/product-reviews/B0015ADBUA/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

On the other hand, a similar tripod with ballhead seems to get good reviews from owners:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=517977&is=REG&si=rev#anchorToReadReviews

So, perhaps if you are looking at it as a set of legs that you will put a different head on, it might be a good deal?

I tend to think that when a product is discontinued (in short order) it is because there was a problem with the product and the lack of reviews and the Made in China would make me think twice.

I say go for it. At the very least...you can resell it on ebay, craigslist, ST, SV, etc. if you don't like it. Can't image the overall loss would be much.

Back