Nikon D800

I've been in the Canon system since my first dSLR (20D), and I'm only ever in the market for low-mid APS-C DSLRs (currently have 60D). That said, the just-announced Nikon D800 looks like a pretty fantastic camera for the price! DPReview has released their D800 Preview. Some highlights from that preview:

• 36.3MP CMOS sensor
  • 15.3MP DX-format capture mode
  • 51-point AF system with 15 cross-type sensors, rated to -2EV
  • ISO 100-6400 extendable to ISO 25,600 equiv
  • 1080p video at 30, 25 or 24 frames per second, up to 24Mbps, with uncompressed HDMI output and audio monitoring options
  • 3.2", 921,000 dot LCD with anti-fog layer
  • Maximum 4fps continuous shooting in FX mode, 6fps in DX mode
  • Advanced Scene Recognition System with 91,000 pixel metering sensor
  • 'Expeed 3' Image Processing
  • Dual-axis Virtual Horizon (on LCD screen/viewfinder)

Some samples from the D800 are up on the Nikon site HERE. That's a lot of camera for only $2999. I'm not sure how the high ISO noise performance is, but the samples look pretty fantastic at lower ISOs.

I've been in the Canon system since my first dSLR (20D), and I'm only ever in the market for low-mid APS-C DSLRs (currently have 60D). That said, the just-announced Nikon D800 looks like a pretty fantastic camera for the price! DPReview has released their D800 Preview. Some highlights from that preview:

• 36.3MP CMOS sensor
  • 15.3MP DX-format capture mode
  • 51-point AF system with 15 cross-type sensors, rated to -2EV
  • ISO 100-6400 extendable to ISO 25,600 equiv
  • 1080p video at 30, 25 or 24 frames per second, up to 24Mbps, with uncompressed HDMI output and audio monitoring options
  • 3.2", 921,000 dot LCD with anti-fog layer
  • Maximum 4fps continuous shooting in FX mode, 6fps in DX mode
  • Advanced Scene Recognition System with 91,000 pixel metering sensor
  • 'Expeed 3' Image Processing
  • Dual-axis Virtual Horizon (on LCD screen/viewfinder)

Some samples from the D800 are up on the Nikon site HERE. That's a lot of camera for only $2999. I'm not sure how the high ISO noise performance is, but the samples look pretty fantastic at lower ISOs.

it looked good till I saw the fps shooting rate, then I knew why the price was so low.

The EOS-1 DX that's coming out in the next year, while almost double the price, is a full frame, with 12fps in raw mode, 14 fps in jpg mode, ISO up to 52,100 in manual, and 104,200 in h1, and 208,400 in h2, 64 AF points. For the money, I'd get the 1DX and forget about the D800.

if they can get the fps up to around 8 or 9, might be worth it.

it looked good till I saw the fps shooting rate, then I knew why the price was so low.

The EOS-1 DX that's coming out in the next year, while almost double the price, is a full frame, with 12fps in raw mode, 14 fps in jpg mode, ISO up to 52,100 in manual, and 104,200 in h1, and 208,400 in h2, 64 AF points. For the money, I'd get the 1DX and forget about the D800.

Thinking this may be a good match for the 5DII. Rumor has it that Canon has released a few updated L lenses because they may have another new full frame coming.

The Canon 5D MKIII is rumored to be announced in the next couple months....Maybe now that Nikon released this one, Canon will speed up their announcment of their new camera.

The D800 is meant to be a landscape or fashion/studio camera where the 36mp really comes into play. When shot at 16mp the camera will do 5/6fps much like a D7000. The new Nikon D4 is meant to be the compitition with the 1DX. The D4 is 16.2mp with 11fps shooting and a new autofocus/metering system and 208,400 max is. The 1DX is $6999 while the D4 is $5999 and the D800 being $2999. All great cameras though.

Truth be told if you are hung up on FPS then this camera is not for you (after all increasing file size increases the processing power needed), and you'd be better off the ISO king in the D4 (I very much doubt the 1DX will manage to top it). ISO performance looks to be one stop better than the D700 (which was amazing in its own right). Unless you are shooting professional sports, birds in flight or media images you don't really need incredibly high FPS rates. The MP is more than a little bit excessive, but still the dual card slots, video performance and basically the guts of the D4 with a different sensor would suggest this is a pretty damn fine camera for $3000. Given I rarely if ever take more than one shot a second I'm not too worried - Looking forward to seeing the 14-24 on this camera. Lets be honest here, most people aren't going to last out on the 1DX based on FPS except for photographic professionals. Given this camera has already sold out on most pre-order sites its a fair indication it meets some peoples needs.

The D800 is meant to be a landscape or fashion/studio camera where the 36mp really comes into play. When shot at 16mp the camera will do 5/6fps much like a D7000. The new Nikon D4 is meant to be the compitition with the 1DX. The D4 is 16.2mp with 11fps shooting and a new autofocus/metering system and 208,400 max is. The 1DX is $6999 while the D4 is $5999 and the D800 being $2999. All great cameras though.

36 is a bit excessive, but I'm interested to see the photo's in puts out.

Truth be told if you are hung up on FPS then this camera is not for you (after all increasing file size increases the processing power needed), and you'd be better off the ISO king in the D4 (I very much doubt the 1DX will manage to top it). ISO performance looks to be one stop better than the D700 (which was amazing in its own right). Unless you are shooting professional sports, birds in flight or media images you don't really need incredibly high FPS rates. The MP is more than a little bit excessive, but still the dual card slots, video performance and basically the guts of the D4 with a different sensor would suggest this is a pretty damn fine camera for $3000. Given I rarely if ever take more than one shot a second I'm not too worried - Looking forward to seeing the 14-24 on this camera. Lets be honest here, most people aren't going to last out on the 1DX based on FPS except for photographic professionals. Given this camera has already sold out on most pre-order sites its a fair indication it meets some peoples needs.

that's the thing I don't understand. I dont get why a camera has to be for one or the other, (landscape as opposed to action). As a photographer, I want a camera that will shoot in any situation at any given momement in any conditions, that's why I'm hung up on the fps. I shoot action (drag races, airshows/planes, action sports for action, and at the same time I shoot landscapes, portraits, and still's).

maybe some never take one action shot, but I guess it'd be nice to have the ability to do so if needed. I'd have to compare it to buying a porsche with a speed limiter. ;)

The 1DX goes to 208,400 ISO in h2 mode. so it will be right up there with the D4 on the ISO. Although, I am skeptical of the quality of images either camera will produce at those levels as I would think those photos would have a ton of electronic noise/grain in them. I can bump my 7D to 12,400 and the quality is awful.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/10/18/canoneos1dx

The low-light capability of the EOS-1D X is evident in its incredible ISO range and ability to photograph in extremely low-light conditions. Adjustable from ISO 100 to 51,200 within its standard range, the new model offers a low ISO 50 setting for studio and landscape photography and two high settings of 102,400 at H1 and 204,800 at H2, ideal for law enforcement, government or forensic field applications

Im content with my Nikon D90 and lenses which include 18-55, 35 F1.8, 70-300 VR, and now the 10-24. I plan to chase this year for my first time. The high iso on the D90 is very good probably equal to the T2i/T3i/60D/7D which share the same image sensor. The way I look at it is hey, it takes pictures and until I feel that my camera is limiting my abilities, I wont upgrade.

Regarding the D800 images, there are some samples on the nikon website and such and you can download full res images. They do have alot of resolution thats for sure ;). One thing I like about the D800 is that when using DX format lenses the camera crops to a DX size giving a 15.8mp image. This may be a very handy feature for people looking to upgrade to full frame but still have alot of DX lenses.

36 is a bit excessive, but I'm interested to see the photo's in puts out.

that's the thing I don't understand. I dont get why a camera has to be for one or the other, (landscape as opposed to action). As a photographer, I want a camera that will shoot in any situation at any given momement in any conditions, that's why I'm hung up on the fps. I shoot action (drag races, airshows/planes, action sports for action, and at the same time I shoot landscapes, portraits, and still's).

maybe some never take one action shot, but I guess it'd be nice to have the ability to do so if needed. I'd have to compare it to buying a porsche with a speed limiter. ;)

The 1DX goes to 208,400 ISO in h2 mode. so it will be right up there with the D4 on the ISO. Although, I am skeptical of the quality of images either camera will produce at those levels as I would think those photos would have a ton of electronic noise/grain in them. I can bump my 7D to 12,400 and the quality is awful.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/10/18/canoneos1dx

Are you really going to utilize that resolution at 36 megapizels? I imagine any fast action photography will have at least a little blurring at that resolution. The speed is probably limited by how big the sensor is. You actually have to read each pixel. Partly why the switch to CMOS was made (a few years ago), to speed up read time, despite the loss in S/N. Back in the film days, how many people were shooting sports with medium or large format cameras? (Since I was young or not born this is an actual question)

I used to shoot with the Nikon D2H which when it came out had the highest frame rate of any DSLR. I shot a lot of sporting events with it and found that most of the time I'd not shoot it in the fast continuous frame advance (8fps) but rather the slow frame advance (I think 3fps). If you shoot in the fast advance mode, you will fill up the buffer much sooner. There's nothing worse than shooting a race at Daytona and your buffer fills up when you are shooting a crash in progress. A fast frame rate is nice to have, but it creates it's own set of problems. Everything in camera design is give and take in one way or another. You don't usually get something for nothing.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

I will admit it, I am one of the only ones out there that uses a Sony. I am going to be purchasing an A77 this summer. Honestly, if you are talking about fps, nothing even comes close to the Sonys because of those translucent mirrors at 12 fps. I tried both the A65 and A77 and they are amazing. And for the price you have to pay for a Nikkon, I would easily go with the Sony. True, right now because they are new to the market their glass selection isn't the best. But what is good is that most of their glass is actually from Sony and really does a great job. I have a 50mm f/1.8 lens that I use for other projects and it is simply amazing, and very affordable as well.

Still, to me, I would never buy a Nikkon unless I was getting a D3x, D3X or D4. I think their high-end professional models are great. But past that, I think Canon and now Sony are the best options. Glass options will build up with Sony after a while, but I wouldn't not consider one. Currently, most places are out of the A77, which says something.

The thing I dont like about Sony's translucent mirrors is that you loose light. Only 70% of the light makes it through the mirror. This is need in order to have phase detect autofocus.

If the 5d mark iii is +-6fps, weather sealed, +-22mp, with better video quality (less moire-rolling shutter and 4:2:2 hdmi out, headphone jack, auto focus....), it will be a good dslr for photojournalism and for storm chasers. With a price between 2500-3000$ for the body. I think Nikon wanted to shock the world with the D800 (36mp), and will release 3 more dslr in 2012. Canon will probably do the same thing.

Back