New user, new chaser and progress thread

I've posted in the new user sticky, but wanted to do a more personal thread for myself. I figure it'd also be pretty cool to look back on in a few years to see how far I've come

As most of you can guess, I'm a new member finally after waiting a while...long enough to forget i signed up, but still glad to be here. I feel like I'm part of a group of pros and I feel a bit out of place and already learning a ton of info. There's a few names I recognize that I've seen around instagram and YouTube quite a bit, and I probably follow a few users here.

I won't bore you with my whole life story, I have that in my profile for the new user essay if you really want to read it. It's interesting to me to see where I'm coming from but who really cares what most people have gone through

So, that's out of the way my name is Kevin, I'm from Bristol, CT originally, joined the Air Force straight out of high school because I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Blah blah blah, few years pass and I realize how I've always been a weather nut since I was about six or seven years old after watching Twister. Now, I'm trying to play catch-up and get into college, take the SAT and pursue a career in meteorology regardless of how long it takes

This will be my first time actually out chasing and recording storms, but I live in Tucson, AZ for the time being with my fiance so I''ll be chasing the AZ monsoon.
I have a 2009 WRX I also commute in and enjoy modding as well, that will also be my chase vehicle. Its in the shop right now for body work as the neighbor's sister from across the street backed into the driver front fender leaving a few weeks ago

I'm also hoping no one minds too much if I pick your brains a bit for info. I have a very basic understanding of weather, a lot of what I learned is from meted.

I'm also in the market for a good camera set up that's also budget friendly, so if anyone has recommendations that would be helpful. Also maybe some tips on ISO settings for what kind of light, close-up photos and long range structural shot tips, etc.

Another quick question is for those who sell their videos/photos. How do you go about doing that exactly? I'm not looking to profit off chasing whatsoever but making a few bucks back from the gas expenses would probably help keep the girlfriend off my back...even though she likes watching storms ALMOST as much as me

Hello, and welcome to Stormtrack! I'm also a new-ish chaser, although I've been obsessed with severe weather for as long as I can remember. I just never really decided to pursue it until last year.
I'm a car nut, too, and I love the WRX and especially the STi. Nothing like that boxer rumble, am I right?? I'm currently driving an Astro van, as I am wanting to make it in to my home on wheels. That'll help save money for chasing, and will also allow me to have a place to sleep during chase season, so I don't have to spend money on hotels. I might buy another fun car after chase season and saving up some more money, though. Probably a 240sx, or maybe another Neon. Something cheap and fun.
I'm also searching around for a decent (and cheap) camera, as I only have my phone right now. I really want a Nikon D3200. It's a good camera for an entry-level DSLR, and fairly budget-friendly, too.
For ISO settings, you want to stay as low as possible, to reduce noise in your photos. ISO 100 is good for situations where there is plentiful light. When light diminishes, you normally go higher in the ISO range. I would recommend staying at or below ISO 400, as the noise becomes significantly more noticeable after that point. You can also adjust your f/ stops to allow more natural light to enter the lens, while keeping ISOs lower. Also, get a tripod, because slower shutter speeds will result in better low-light photos at lower ISOs.
As far as selling photos goes, there are a few media companies like Live Storms Media and KDR Media that help chasers get their photos out there. I'm not sure how companies like that work, though.
Anyway man, good luck!

Welcome to the board Kevin! Feel free to ask me questions anytime you want. I sure don't know everything, but I can certainly point you in the right direction if you ask a question that I can't answer.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

@Trappy: that's a lot of great info. I'll check out that camera as well. My fiance has a Nixon, not sure which, but it's pretty glitchy most times.
I love my subie too. There is no better exhaust note for a production model than the wrx (note production, gtr and such cars excluded lol) I'd hate to see it get hail damage, but I'm still perfectly fine with using it to chase. Gotta make sacrifices and I find it a bit interesting combining both passions of cars and weather. I just refinanced my car and really trying to get it paid off asap while the trade in value is still good, and thinking about getting as new of a hatch as possible. More room to sleep in

@Jason: thanks again! I'll keep that in mind!

If you haven't already gone through Jeff Haby's site, www.theweatherprediction.com, to learn more of the basics about all kinds of meteorology, including convective stuff and skew-Ts, I would recommend going through that site. I have actually found a few errors on it, but most of it is accurate. It's a fairly short read, but also full of useful information. A good site for beginners.

You'll learn way more of the technical stuff in college courses, though.

If you haven't already gone through Jeff Haby's site, www.theweatherprediction.com, to learn more of the basics about all kinds of meteorology, including convective stuff and skew-Ts, I would recommend going through that site. I have actually found a few errors on it, but most of it is accurate. It's a fairly short read, but also full of useful information. A good site for beginners.

You'll learn way more of the technical stuff in college courses, though.
I think I've been through there before or maybe something similar. Regardless it has been quite a while. So I'd love to go back into it. Thanks for the post

Back