New Radar Images Available from Cuba

Has NOAA put all of the TDWR's online? Tho thats some weird radar i have never herd of... Nice of them to throw it online...

a quick google search came up with this radar also http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ridge/Arsr-4/ Watford City, ND FAA ARSR-4 Radar

There are a few aviation radar systems that NWS folks are trying to get disseminated nationwide, including TDWRs (most TDWR data are available to NWSFO responsible for the area covered by the TDWR, and may be available to each and every NWSFO by now), ARSR-4s, and ASR-11s. As far as I know, the only TDWR available in the public domain is the OKC TDWR HERE. See NWS Use of FAA Radar Data -- Progress and Plans (Istok et al. 2005)*.
It'll be interesting to see how quickly (or if, for that matter) these other radar systems come online to the public. The resolution gain provided by Cband and Xband radar systems is quite nice compared to the Sband WSR88D (of course, there are plenty of negatives for those systems too).

*Istok, M.J., P.K. Pickard, R. Okulski, R.E. Saffle, B. Bumgarner, 2005: NWS Use of FAA Radar Data – Progress and Plans, 21st Conf. on Interactive Information and Processing Systems, San Diego, CA, Amer. Meteor. Soc., Paper 5.3

TDWR's were mention by Gilbert Sebenste (was it here or on GRLevelX's forum) as being publicly available in the next year.

I see these ARSR radars output a nostalgic six color DVIP type spectrum.

If I'm not mistaken, this radar was supposed to serve as a replacement for the WSR-74C at Williston. The radar and NWS office there still have not been decommissioned because of public and political pressures (the FAA radar isn't good enough for them).

There are a few aviation radar systems that NWS folks are trying to get disseminated nationwide, including TDWRs (most TDWR data are available to NWSFO responsible for the area covered by the TDWR, and may be available to each and every NWSFO by now),

TDWR's are still not available in many WFO's, even when they are fairly local. Last I heard was funding for next year...

-John

Back