New Pentax K7 Includes in Camera HDR and More

I have been waiting the K30d but they have released a K7 which includes in Camera HDR processing and more. Looks like I have found my K10's replacement. I know many people have been begging for in camera HDR for years and it seems it has finally arrived.

Some slick new ideas:

A High Dynamic Range (HDR) image capture mode captures three images then combines them in camera to widen the exposure gamut to bring out detail in all exposure areas of images.

A programmable embedded copyright function preserves artistic integrity and image ownership during capture via a keypad that may record ownership in metatag data.

A new 14.6 megapixel CMOS sensor rebuilt from the ground up to minimize noise, adds four channel output for fast image capture, and the ability to capture HD quality movies.

HD Movie capture features adjustable quality and resolution settings, aperture control, as well as mechanical Shake Reduction, and an external microphone terminal for recording stereo sound.* The K-7 will capture video at the default standard of 1280x720 resolution with a 16:9 aspect ratio (equivalent to 720p), 1536x1024 resolution with a 3:2 aspect ratio, or 640x416 resolution with a 3:2 aspect ratio (equivalent to VGA quality), all shot at 30 frames per second.

An Electronic Level function ensures that images have truly level horizons to minimize post-capture editing.

A dedicated Mirror Lock-up function eliminates image blur due to mirror movement during long exposures.

The K-7 features the newly developed PRIME (Pentax Real Image Engine) II

Although I won't be in the market for a new camera body for the foreseeable future, as a Pentax K200D owner, I'm glad to hear of this development. There has been some concern about (Hoya) the new owner's commitment to the DSLR line. Many of these features show that they have not been asleep at the wheel, or simply following the "leaders" but still innovating.

I still can't figure out why they haven't released a Pentax version of the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 (which they co-designed with Tokina). The fact that Tokina doesn't manufacture it in a Pentax mount (Canon/Nikon only) is a sure sign that Pentax plans to do so, but still no announcement. (The Pentax DA 12-24mm is a well regarded lens, but only f/4.)

What do you shoot on the ultra-wide side, Jim?

Although I won't be in the market for a new camera body for the foreseeable future, as a Pentax K200D owner, I'm glad to hear of this development. There has been some concern about (Hoya) the new owner's commitment to the DSLR line. Many of these features show that they have not been asleep at the wheel, or simply following the "leaders" but still innovating.

I still can't figure out why they haven't released a Pentax version of the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 (which they co-designed with Tokina). The fact that Tokina doesn't manufacture it in a Pentax mount (Canon/Nikon only) is a sure sign that Pentax plans to do so, but still no announcement. (The Pentax DA 12-24mm is a well regarded lens, but only f/4.)

What do you shoot on the ultra-wide side, Jim?

Sigma 10-20 is my wide angle though it is certainly no fast lens at f:4, the 2.8 would be a sweet addition to a lens lineup though if it were not to expensive. I am finding that the wide angle is the only way to go for better structure shots. :)

I am still unsure if this is the consumer expected "K30D" with a different label or they will release a K30D with these same features but it looks good so far. There are some test shots popping up with their pre production models which show the high ISO,s to be promising when even the warning with the pre production models said anything over ISO 800 is still not anywhere near their final production quality.

I will definitely be waiting for some good reviews and shots from normal users before I commit because there seems to be a two month period before the bad stuff about a camera seems to spill out into common knowledge.

I can't speak to the "K30D" part, but they are leaving the K20D in the line-up (as they should).

I'm less interested in the internal processing stuff (that results in JPEGs) and more interested in getting the best RAW images possible. The built-in HDR, etc. would be nifty but I doubt that they can surpass what one could do with the three RAW exposures (or more) in Photoshop.

I think the two most important advancements on the camera are the significant improvement in the frames per second (this a glaring spec weakness, but not terribly important unless you shoot a lot of sports/action) and adding the Live View. I did not think the Live View was a big deal until Hollingshead demonstrated how handy it is to use it (along with "chimping") to fine tune tripod-mounted focus. I can see how that would be a big advantage - similar to the old magnifiers that a photographer would put on the ground glass of a view camera.

I still feel that the four biggest reasons that people should at least consider Pentax if they are in the market for a first digital camera is:
a) the weather-proofing,
b) the build of the camera (the magnesium subframe makes you feel like you are holding a "real" camera instead of something closer to a plastic toy),
c) the body-based shake-reduction system (works with any lens you stick on the front and eliminates the need for more expensive IS lenses),
d) the ability to use any K-mount lens since 1975 (and Pentax made some good ones).

The fact that you can get all of the above on an entry level camera (in the Pentax K200D) is the reason why I prefered it to the entry-level Canons and Nikons in the same price range.

Regarding the Tokina 11-16mm (B&H has it for Canon/Nikon for $599). That opinionated fellow Ken Rockwell loved it. Why it has not yet been offered for the Pentax mount is an absolute mystery to me. The faster lens design (f/2.8) more than makes up for the more limited zoom range, for me. I would hate to save up and buy a $700 f/4 lens and then have this become available. The Sigma 10-20mm is the only other rectilinear option (besides the DA 12-24mm) I mentioned, but people seem to like it.

You are wise to wait for further info before purchasing. Are you sure you don't want to wait for the Pentax medium format digital that is on its way? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The built-in HDR, etc. would be nifty but I doubt that they can surpass what one could do with the three RAW exposures (or more) in Photoshop.

No but it may be a good alternative to have to get that extra edge in normal high contrast shots.

I think the two most important advancements on the camera are the significant improvement in the frames per second

That will be nice.

I still feel that the four biggest reasons that people should at least consider Pentax if they are in the market for a first digital camera is:
a) the weather-proofing,

That was the main selling factor for me as my lightning photography usually gets me and the camera wet.

c) the body-based shake-reduction system (works with any lens you stick on the front and eliminates the need for more expensive IS lenses), d) the ability to use any K-mount lens since 1975 (and Pentax made some good ones).

The second original selling factor for me.

Regarding the Tokina 11-16mm (B&H has it for Canon/Nikon for $599). That opinionated fellow Ken Rockwell loved it. Why it has not yet been offered for the Pentax mount is an absolute mystery to me. The faster lens design (f/2.8) more than makes up for the more limited zoom range

I would have taken that in a Pentax for that price based on its speed before the Sigma if it had been available.

You are wise to wait for further info before purchasing. Are you sure you don't want to wait for the Pentax medium format digital that is on its way? :)

I am still waiting to see if they will even go with a medium or large format in the future. I think it shoots down the use of a bunch of their lenses which has been a selling point for Pentax.

Back