NatGeo's Your Shot Photo Community Enables Copyright Infringement

This is a good lesson and discussion for new photographers. I was once a finalist in an International nature photography competition and they required the original transparencies to make copies for a book. Back in the day, a photographer never parted with the actual originals, especially long before Photoshop and digital copying. I declined and lost out. Unfortunately, it's very hard to tell someone who does not shoot for a living to give up free publicity in exchange for unlimited ripoffs.

Saw this pop up in my Feedly today...unfortunately more bad behavior from National Geographic:

The magazine was asking for people’s images “in perpetuity” to be used “throughout the universe” for free.

Seems like there's a limitless pool of talented photographers willing to go to great lengths to acquire and submit photos to contests like this for nothing but a credit line (if that) and some warm fuzzies. Climbing all over each other for the smallest signs of validation...like notification that an editor added a photo to their favorites. The big players are getting ever better at creating a no-cost supply chain.

Back