My Story of the May 10, 2008 EF-4 Tornado

Nathan Withrow

On May 10, 2008 a very violent tornado formed to the Southwest of Chetopa, KS.

This was a special day for me because hours before the storm I graduated from a community college. I knew that there was a threat for severe weather, but had no idea what was about to unfold in front of my eyes and for others.

It was a day of celebration and a day to sit back and think about my goals next in life. Little did I know that a few hours after I got back home, that all hell was about to break loose. The storm prediction center had my area in a slight risk for severe weather that day. But the atmosphere was unstable, but not just unstable, extremely unstable.

When the storms started to fire, they blew up east of Wichita in Southern Kansas. A few cells became severe producing large hail but were disorganized. As the cells moved eastward they entered Southeast Kansas where the atmosphere was really unstable, and there were three key air masses in play here. A cold front, warm front, and dry line. This is called the triple point where all three air masses meet at a point.

The minute the cells crossed the triple point they began to rotate! These were small supercells. The southern most supercell started to drop hail over my area. I went outside and looked up at the sky and had a weird feeling that something was about to happen. I went back in the house and started to listen to the local weather report on TV and they said that the northern most cell was becoming tornadic! Shortly after, the tornado sirens went off and I went outside trying to tell myself should I stay or go out and see what was going on. I took off towards the northern supercell because that is the one that was producing the possible tornado, but before I could leave town I looked behind me in my car and I saw what it looked to me to be a funnel extending down. I turned around and drove back into town, and now I was facing it, looking at it. My emotions started to go wild and what I thought I was looking at was indeed a tornado forming. I drove outside to an area which would be good to get a open view of it. Before I saw the tornado, I saw the funnel then I had to wait again until I got out to the country. Before I seen it again I already knew that there was a tornado on the ground, and my adrenaline picked up. Finally I got out there and just as I made it out there, the tornado touched the ground. I never saw this in my life so I had mix emotions of seeing a tornado, and seeing one outside of my hometown. So the rest of the story is shown here in this amazing video, and I couldn't ask for a better graduation present!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v33m8n0IhU

I did not have time to use a tripod, so I am very sorry about how shaky this video is, and yes after shooting it I was upset at myself on the tornado capture itself!

Nathan,

For your first tor, I wouldn't be upset at all. For your first chase, you done good! Congrats! =]

On May 10, 2008 a very violent tornado formed to the Southwest of Chetopa, KS.

This was a special day for me because hours before the storm I graduated from a community college. I knew that there was a threat for severe weather, but had no idea what was about to unfold in front of my eyes and for others.

It was a day of celebration and a day to sit back and think about my goals next in life. Little did I know that a few hours after I got back home, that all hell was about to break loose. The storm prediction center had my area in a slight risk for severe weather that day. But the atmosphere was unstable, but not just unstable, extremely unstable.

When the storms started to fire, they blew up east of Wichita in Southern Kansas. A few cells became severe producing large hail but were disorganized. As the cells moved eastward they entered Southeast Kansas where the atmosphere was really unstable, and there were three key air masses in play here. A cold front, warm front, and dry line. This is called the triple point where all three air masses meet at a point.

The minute the cells crossed the triple point they began to rotate! These were small supercells. The southern most supercell started to drop hail over my area. I went outside and looked up at the sky and had a weird feeling that something was about to happen. I went back in the house and started to listen to the local weather report on TV and they said that the northern most cell was becoming tornadic! Shortly after, the tornado sirens went off and I went outside trying to tell myself should I stay or go out and see what was going on. I took off towards the northern supercell because that is the one that was producing the possible tornado, but before I could leave town I looked behind me in my car and I saw what it looked to me to be a funnel extending down. I turned around and drove back into town, and now I was facing it, looking at it. My emotions started to go wild and what I thought I was looking at was indeed a tornado forming. I drove outside to an area which would be good to get a open view of it. Before I saw the tornado, I saw the funnel then I had to wait again until I got out to the country. Before I seen it again I already knew that there was a tornado on the ground, and my adrenaline picked up. Finally I got out there and just as I made it out there, the tornado touched the ground. I never saw this in my life so I had mix emotions of seeing a tornado, and seeing one outside of my hometown. So the rest of the story is shown here in this amazing video, and I couldn't ask for a better graduation present!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v33m8n0IhU

There was an outflow boundary extending from southeast Kansas into the northeast corner of Oklahoma and into southwest Missouri. This boundary was produced by a cluster of elevated storms which had formed over eastern Kansas and western Missouri earlier in the day. The supercell which produced the Pitcher tornado became tornadic when it interacted with and anchored on the outflow boundary. The NWS Tulsa did a presentation on this event and the interesting thing they noted about the storm was the mesocyclone was rather weak in the mid-levels, but very strong in the lowest 1km. It is my belief the outflow boundary played a key role in tornadogenesis with that particular supercell.

You can pull up the satellite loop from this link. Be sure and select May 10, 2008.

http://locust.mmm.ucar.edu/case-selection/

There was an outflow boundary extending from southeast Kansas into the northeast corner of Oklahoma and into southwest Missouri. This boundary was produced by a cluster of elevated storms which had formed over eastern Kansas and western Missouri earlier in the day. The supercell which produced the Pitcher tornado became tornadic when it interacted with and anchored on the outflow boundary. The NWS Tulsa did a presentation on this event and the interesting thing they noted about the storm was the mesocyclone was rather weak in the mid-levels, but very strong in the lowest 1km. It is my belief the outflow boundary played a key role in tornadogenesis with that particular supercell.

You can pull up the satellite loop from this link. Be sure and select May 10, 2008.

http://locust.mmm.ucar.edu/case-selection/

I agree, a lot came together for tornadogenesis to take place with that supercell! The outflow boundary sure did help this storm to become a supercell very quickly. I saw the mesocyclone of this supercell, and yes at the lower levels there was good rotation. This storm did not look impressive at all when it was forming over me, but thats until the tornado formed and my mind change to .. well now it is looking quite good! I mean really this small supercell did not look good at all, and it would form this EF-4 tornado which was amazing! Tornadogenesis is amazing, and man I wish Vortex 2 or someone with probes/scientific research equipment would of took data of this supercell or tornado, but it was a quick fast moving supercell and the tornado was gone out of my view after minutes went by!

Thanks for the link!

Like Greg mentioned above there was an outflow boundry that enhanced things. The winds didn't back until almost right before the storm went first tornado warned it seemed. I remember being disgusted how the winds were hardly backed ahead of the storm as it was rumbling across KS before it went torn. warned. There were also some insane 0-1 SRH values roughly where Craig county & Nowata county border in OK. Once this storm hit this area it became tornado warned. It absolutely exploed once it neared Chetopa in an area of very nice 0-1 SRH value. Here is a nice write up about the tornado.

Many thanks to Jon Davies for providing this.
Notice the 0-1 SRH values on the picture below the radar capture. You can see why the storm exploded in the way it did. Of course these value are partly due to the outflow boundry.
http://davieswx.blogspot.com/2008/05/deadly-tornado-setting-on-51008-in.html

Like Greg mentioned above there was an outflow boundry that enhanced things. The winds didn't back until almost right before the storm went first tornado warned it seemed. I remember being disgusted how the winds were hardly backed ahead of the storm as it was rumbling across KS before it went torn. warned. There were also some insane 0-1 SRH values roughly where Craig county & Nowata county border in OK. Once this storm hit this area it became tornado warned. It absolutely exploed once it neared Chetopa in an area of very nice 0-1 SRH value. Here is a nice write up about the tornado.

Many thanks to Jon Davies for providing this.
Notice the 0-1 SRH values on the picture below the radar capture. You can see why the storm exploded in the way it did. Of course these value are partly due to the outflow boundry.
http://davieswx.blogspot.com/2008/05/deadly-tornado-setting-on-51008-in.html

Hi Chris! Here is where I got the triple point information!

You will have to scroll down the page to get to the whole write up called: A deadly juncture by Dr. Greg Forbes. May 13, 2008 blog.

http://www.weather.com/blog/weather/archive/200805.html

That was a good write up by the way the one you sent me Chris! Wow this takes me back looking at all these graphics and models of this storm! Just incredible!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back