Michigan tornado last night 4-9-09/news video

As a junior member, I can't post in the discussion area, but I did notice this storm on radar before it was severe warned and saw the vortex signature on Nexrad and emailed some folks about it at the time, so it's exciting to see indeed this turned out to be a tornado:

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8139437

Also, I think this qualifies as an educational post since I noticed the storm had rather a bow echo to it, and it's a good reminder that even with marginally severe storms (max hail predicted on Nexrad was only up to 1 inch) that you can get a tornado. Here's the official report but the woodtv.com is worth seeing above for the video:
UPDATE: EF1 Tornado hits Near Plainwell

A severe storm tracked from southeast Allegan County into Barry County around 139 AM EDT on Wednesday. At least a dozen trees were knocked down by the storm and a barn was damaged. No one was injured. The damage was concentrated about 4 miles east of Plainwell and extended from the 300 block of 102nd Avenue to the northeast, crossing 106th Avenue in the 100 to 200 block section. The storm continued into Barry County, knocking down trees near Pine Lake, southwest of Prairieville.

The National Weather Service issued a severe thunderstorm warning for the area that was hit by the storm about 20 minutes before the storm struck. The storm was part of a line of thunderstorms that moved through Lower Michigan ahead of a cold front last night. Intense lightning with these storms resulted in several fires and some isolated power outages.

The storms have ended for now, but more severe weather is possible on Thursday night and Friday as a spring storm approaches from the Plains states.

*** 2 PM UPDATE ***

A National Weather Service Storm Survey has determined that the damage in the vicinity of 388 3rd Street in the southeast corner of Allegan county was caused by a tornado. The tornado was rated an EF1 on the Enhanced Fujita Damage Scale, which is winds of 86 to 110 mph. The tornado touched down just southwest of the above address and tracked northeast from there. The survey along the remainder of the damage path was still being conducted as of 2 PM Wednesday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw this thread, so sorry to bump it. I got some really sweet pictures of this exact storm. If I find them I'll post em.

Back