• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Meteor fireball over St. Louis - November 11, 2019

I was outside shooting video of the icy road chaos in St. Charles, Missouri and saw this happen. It looked like a power flash and then a firework, and I didn't recognize it at first as a meteor. I just thought "who is shooting fireworks in these conditions?" The boom would have been audible from here, but there was so much noise from the tractor trailers spinning their wheels and other mayhem that I don't remember it. I at first didn't think I had caught it, but turns out I did (video in a reply below).

Last edited:
Turns out I *did* capture Monday's meteor fireball over the icy road chaos in St. Louis! The meteor is visible reflecting in the truck's windows in the foreground! Didn't hear a boom in subsequent shots.

Amazing. In the first video, I see something also going UP from the ground on the lower right, what is that, just a reflection of some sort??

Pretty sure that is an internal lens flare. Notice how it is 180 degrees from center and as the brightness approaches the center, so does the lens flare.

Back