Joint National Weather Service/American Red Cross statement

John Farley

Supporter
I was just advised of the following joint statement by the National Weather Service and American Red Cross via another discussion list I am on. Appears to represent a significant shift in the NWS safety recommendation:

-----------------------

The National Weather Service and the American Red Cross share a common goal of protecting lives through public education. Regarding tornado safety, we both agree that the best options are to go to an underground shelter, basement or safe room. We have been giving this advice for decades, and it is recognized as the most effective way to stay safe in a tornado.

The National Weather Service and Red Cross also agree on the critical importance of preparedness and quick action when conditions are right for tornadoes to develop like during a severe thunderstorm warning or tornado watch. When a tornado warning is issued, immediate action is required. Preparedness begins by identifying a safe location well in advance of any severe weather and having a way to get weather alerts wherever you are, such as from a NOAA weather radio. When a watch or warning is broadcast, people should already have a plan on what to do and where to go. They should take action immediately and never wait until they actually see a tornado.

The National Weather Service and the Red Cross continue to agree that if no underground shelter or safe room is available, the safest alternative is a small windowless interior room or hallway on the lowest level of a sturdy building, such as an interior bathroom. We also recommend that residents of mobile homes go to the nearest sturdy building or shelter if a tornado threatens.

The Red Cross and Weather Service believe that if you are caught outdoors, you should seek shelter in a basement, shelter or sturdy building. If you cannot quickly walk to a shelter:

* Immediately get into a vehicle, buckle your seat belt and try to drive to the closest sturdy shelter.
* If flying debris occurs while you are driving, pull over and park. Now you have the following options as a last resort:
o Stay in the car with the seat belt on. Put your head down below the windows, covering with your hands and a blanket if possible.
o If you can safely get noticeably lower than the level of the roadway, exit your car and lie in that area, covering your head with your hands.
* Your choice should be driven by your specific circumstances.

The important thing to understand is that if you find yourself outside or in a car with a tornado approaching and you are unable to get to a safe shelter, you are at risk from a number of things outside your control, such as the strength and path of the tornado and debris from your surroundings. This is the case whether you stay in your car or seek shelter in a depression or ditch, both of which are considered last resort options that provide little protection. The safest place to be is in an underground shelter, basement or safe room.

The American Red Cross and the National Weather Service are working to ensure that our publications are updated to reflect this new tornado safety messaging. These changes were formulated using evidence-based research. The American Red Cross and the National Weather Service will continue to work together to assess new research findings and future improvements to our Nation’s tornado safety messaging.

* If flying debris occurs while you are driving, pull over and park. Now you have the following options as a last resort:
o Stay in the car with the seat belt on. Put your head down below the windows, covering with your hands and a blanket if possible.
o If you can safely get noticeably lower than the level of the roadway, exit your car and lie in that area, covering your head with your hands.
* Your choice should be driven by your specific circumstances.

The problem is when people are presented with two choices (seeming to conflict in this case) they tend to do nothing, or something else that usually will be even worse. I'd think that the human impact or psychologists would tell them this... If they were listening.

I still believe that this conflicting information has undone a couple decades of public safety information.

The problem is when people are presented with two choices (seeming to conflict in this case) they tend to do nothing, or something else that usually will be even worse. I'd think that the human impact or psychologists would tell them this... If they were listening.

I still believe that this conflicting information has undone a couple decades of public safety information.

I started to disagree with your assertion until I thought about it a little bit harder. I thought about the times I've had to call a company to resolve an issue and the person on the other end of the line has no apparent thought processes beyond what it takes to read from a flow chart. Then I ask myself, "I waited on hold an hour or longer to have someone read me a vague cookie cutter answer that I could have or already have read myself?"

When dealing with anyone in government nowadays the basic cop-out is "Sir, I'm just following procedure." What is it with this procedure crap? I know that there has to be procedures in place as guidelines to the most common scenarios, but it is impossible to have the foresight to think of every possible combination of events. We have to be able to think on the fly as individuals and as a society or else we are doomed. Many times procedures will steer you in the right direction but sometimes we have to be able to come up with an alternative course of action or else human beings have lost our right to be the dominant species on the planet.

If the National Weather Service and Red Cross gave the public a set of guidelines to follow that took enough scenarios into account to be effective, it would be too much information to process. No one would read it nor remember it if they did. If they give a short cookie cutter procedure to follow that will keep MOST people safe MOST of the time, then that might be the best we can ever hope for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey John F., do you have the date of that release? I remember talking about this or a similar release a few months ago....I think on the EasternUSwx forum.

John F, do you have a link to this info? I could integrate it into the upcoming training sessions I am holding.

I got this from another list I am on. I posted on the list asking for the link, but nobody seems to have one. The person that posted it there got it from someone in the NWS and said that it has appeared on some media links, but I can't find it on any of the major news services. So while I think it is reliable, I am not sure that it has been disseminated very widely yet.

There was a release a couple months ago that started similarly, but said that the two groups were holding discussions about what to recommend.

I do notice that the Red Cross link posted by Ric has the wording that is in the joint release. I think this is an update from what they were saying a couple months ago.

Perhaps it wasn't a "joint" release, but simply passed through the NWS. That is the problem with not keeping track of the source...it can be false or attributed incorrectly. Hopefully more digging will reveal the correct source.

Back