Inspeed Anemometer + Lightning

paulmarv

EF0
Question:

This isn't so much for mobile stormchasing as it is for general anemometry at home, but I guess it is an important issue for both.

Basically, I'm looking to mount my Inspeed anemometer ~20ft above the surface. (no trees in the way) I'm going to run my 125ft wire into my house and basement computer's serial port. From there, my personal data-logging software will store and display the data, but I don't want to ruin my $1500 computer if the inspeed gets struck by lightning.

Is there any type of surge protector that I could buy that would sit on the anemometer wire? I think the RS232 specification says that the maximum voltage should be 25V, but I'm not sure at what voltage a physical threat is posed to my PC.

Are there any Inspeed-like wireless alternative? Of course I could just get a computer-linked Davis system, but I really need the flexibility of being able to programmatically handle the raw data for my own purposes. (Inspeed is great for this)

Advice from any of you veterans out there?

Thanks.

(BTW - WeatherStudio V2 is coming along great and almost all of the initial bugs have been fixed. I've decided not to put up an intermediate version, at least for now)

Back