hi 8mm transfer via digital 8 and more

I have some astronomy and storm stuff dating back to 2001 on Hi 8mm using my sony camcorder. I am looking into buying a digital 8 camcorder (used) to use the tape and stream into digital to reprocess them for DVD later.

(1) Anyone done this lately?
(2) what camcorders would your recommend

any help appreciate on the topic. YOu can either post here or PM me.;)

thanks

Eric,
I use something called Dazzle DVD Recorder. It is a small box with video inputs and an USB cable that connects to the computer. It comes with software that allows you to either record direct to DVD or download to another program on the computer. The quality is very good, especially considering the cost was only about $50.00.
You can also use it to hookup older analog video cameras to the computer so you can stream with them. I got mine at Staples Office Supply.

dazzle

Thanks. Forgot about that one. I need to check it out again as I have not looked at one for about 2 years. I use Macs and I will have to see if I can find a copy somewhere online or ?. The XP version got mixed reviews (57 on Amazon) while the Mac review (only 1 was good).

I am still looking into a sony digital 8 as they use older hi 8mm cassettes and be used to transfer these videos to digital.

Many thanks for the reminder!!!!:)

I use macs mostly and the current Dazzle needs XP.
But the Macintosh review of it is very good but only 1 review though

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B00006BC2H/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

16 of 16 people found the following review helpful:
absolutely fabulous!, , <nobr>November
By Shelley

see link below which gives the software an average rating for windows:
http://www.amazon.com/Dazzle-Hollywood-Firewire-Digital-analog-Converter/dp/B00006BC2H

http://www.creativemac.com/HTM/News/11_00/dazzlehollywooddvbridge.htm
NEWS • NOVEMBER 14 , 2000
Dazzle Debuts Mac Capture Hardware
Hollywood DV-Bridge brings analog through FireWire
by David Nagel
Executive Producer
[email protected]

Dazzle has announced a new piece of hardware for the Mac, Hollywood DV-Bridge. The new system is designed to let users work in analog and DV mode simultaneously, allowing them to convert VHS tapes into DV format. Users can also convert their DV video to analog. The DV-Bridge hardware plugs into the FireWire port of any G3 or G4 desktop or PowerBook to bring in composite video, S-video, FireWire and stereo audio, converting analog signals into DV for editing in NLEs that support the DV format.
Features include:
• Capture analog or DV video, including an analog camcorder, TV, VCR or DV/D8 camcorder;
• Edit in DV video format by bringing analog signals straight into Final Cut Pro, iMovie or other editors that support DV input;
• Convert analog video to DV;
• Convert DV video to analog for outputting to a VCR or other device;
• Convert video without a computer;
• Monitor video from a TV as it's being transfered;
• Works with FireWire-enabled Macs;
• Works with iMovie and Final Cut Pro.

The product includes the Hollywood DV-Bridge hardware, a 6' FireWire cable and hardware manual. It requires a G3 or G4 running at 300 MHz or higher, MacOS 9.04, 64 MB RAM, 800 x 600 pixel resolution and a built-in FireWire port. It will sell for $299 when it ships in December. For more information, visit http://www.dazzle.com.
Post a comment or question on the (Denton, TX **(God Bless the USA!!)**) - See all my reviews

Back when my first dog lost her hearing, I finally realized she wouldn't be around forever. She was otherwise healthy, but deaf, so I bought a camcorder. This was before digital camcorders existed and I shot a lot of film of her playing, eating and just hanging out.
Tape is a volitile media - it's basically rusting from the minute it is manufactured, and I wanted to be able to enjoy the film of her forever and not find that the tape had degraded over time.
Now that I have a Mac that can burn DVDs, I needed some way to get the analog video into my Mac. This Hollywood DV-bridge is freakin' awesome!
My Mac at work has the DVD writer, but at home I have an older Mac - a G4/400, but with the DV-bridge, I was able to connect my analog video recorder to my Mac and import the video to iMovie to do edits.
I made the edits and burned the resluting video to a CD and took it to work one weekend and did the fancy editing and burning with iDVD.
I had bought another product that was cheaper, the XLR8 InterView USB, and it was awful. I couldn't import the video real-time, so I got slide-show video and choppy audio.
The Hollywood DV-bridge is just like having a digital camcorder.
I have friends who have even older tapes from the older style camcorders using full size VHS and I can now help them move their precious memories to DVD.
It's not cheap, but you sure get what you pay for! Help other customers find the most helpful reviews

::
Eric,
I use something called Dazzle DVD Recorder. It is a small box with video inputs and an USB cable that connects to the computer. It comes with software that allows you to either record direct to DVD or download to another program on the computer. The quality is very good, especially considering the cost was only about $50.00.
You can also use it to hookup older analog video cameras to the computer so you can stream with them. I got mine at Staples Office Supply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric, you can connect any new MiniDV camcorder directly to your old one with RCA cables, and with both in VCR mode, play back the old footage on the old camera and record it on the new camera. Once the footage is copied onto a MiniDV tape, it's digitized and ready for firewire ingestion into the computer from the new camera (easily done with either PC or MAC).

I've converted many old VHS and VHS-C tapes this way, connecting an old camera or an old VCR to the new camera.

I would also consider going with MiniDV as opposed to Digital 8, as the latter is very outdated. MiniDv's been around long enough that you should be able to find some great deals on used and even new camcorders.

Hi8 to DV

Eric:

This has been on of my extremely large projects of late. I have about a hundred tapes in Hi8 dating from my second chase season (1998) until around 2003, when I finally upgraded to DV. A friend of mine is quite familiar so I'll try to get him to talk about it in detail, and I'll post his comments here (he's still waiting to get approved for ST membership).

Bottom line is you can use the Dazzle, you can use a Pinnacle devise, or purchase a DV camera that can play the Hi8 and DV tapes.

Either way, they all have their issues, and you won't be happy with the quality...it isn't digital, but since you said starting around 2001 it shouldn't be to bad.

thanks Jason and Dan

I will try that Dan. I have a hi 8mm with tapes that I will use my sony to stream it out to my Panasonic 320 ccd 3 chip.

Jason I will try to use what Dan said. Dazzle would cost me over $200 so I can't do that.

The quality is not great but I need to to convert and my Mt. St Helens tape from a big vcr tape to convert. Quality is not great but I can do a lot with it if I can convert to digital and have markers.

I managed to stream my storm videos that I ported to Imovie for mac and finally got on DVD. That's a start

Many thanks for all that have given me some input. I will let you know how it turns out. If anyone still has tricks let me know

I will try that Dan. I have a hi 8mm with tapes that I will use my sony to stream it out to my Panasonic 320 ccd 3 chip.

Jason I will try to use what Dan said. Dazzle would cost me over $200 so I can't do that.

The quality is not great but I need to to convert and my Mt. St Helens tape from a big vcr tape to convert. Quality is not great but I can do a lot with it if I can convert to digital and have markers.

I managed to stream my storm videos that I ported to Imovie for mac and finally got on DVD. That's a start

Many thanks for all that have given me some input. I will let you know how it turns out. If anyone still has tricks let me know

Eric,
If all else fails, let me know. I can transfer from Hi8, VCR, or MiniDV to DVD and mail it all back to you. You should be able to do your own editing and modifying then. I may not be able to get to it for a couple of weeks as I may be heading out to CA. to do some coverage out there. But after I get back, I probably can get to it fairly quick. Let me know.
Dennis

Back