• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

HAM radio question

C Sanchez

EF0
Hi everyone,
I’ve been looking into getting my HAM radio license and I’m a bit confused on where to go or which one to get. I assume chasers and spotters have it. I heard the technician license is good but is that enough for my area (Southeast Louisiana)?
Is ARRL website/courses good?
Which license do storm chasers/spotters need in order to talk to both NWS and others?
Can I take the courses and test online?
I’d really appreciate the help because I’d like to get this done pretty soon.

Thank you much! So just to make sure, there no need to take any like educational courses or anything, just exam practice to memorize the 37+ exam questions?
Also, how would I get a call sign? When signing up for ARRL it asks for the call sign, I don’t imagine we can do custom call signs correct?
ARRL is a great resource. For general field communications you'll probably will be satisfied with a tech license as most of the activity will be on 2 meter. You can take practice exams online but the actual test will be in person. This link should help get you started: Exam Practice (arrl.org)

Skywarn nets are VHF (2 m) or UHF (70 cm). You get that with a tech license. There are a few places where HF might be used to relay from a local net back to a NWS office, but that is pretty rare these days and is only used by net control or liaison stations. The best place to take free practice tests is at HamStudy.org: Cutting edge amateur radio study tools . ARRL and W5YI make the most popular books to study with - but you can get by with HamStudy as they will show you explanations when you put it in flash card mode (although books give you more in depth understanding). You don't get a call sign until you sit for the test, pay your fee, pass the test, and the VE (volunteer examiner) sends your test results into the FCC. You can pay a fee to get a vanity call sign of your choosing (assuming it is not taken), otherwise one is assigned to you. The ARRL has a search tool to show where/when tests are given. Many Ham Radio clubs offer them. Many of these same clubs also offer classes. I highly encourage you to get involved with a local club 0 they will help you along the way.

As a side note - you pay one fee and can take all 3 tests in one sitting (assuming you pass - you have to pass to take the same one).Once you got the tech questions down you should look at the general questions (esp. the band plan ones). There are many people who pass both the tech and general test in one sitting and they get a lot of HF privs in addition to their VHF and UHF privs.

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. Welp, I’ll go ahead and get started on the studying. I also need to look into a decent ham radio for the truck.
Skywarn nets are VHF (2 m) or UHF (70 cm). You get that with a tech license. There are a few places where HF might be used to relay from a local net back to a NWS office, but that is pretty rare these days and is only used by net control or liaison stations. The best place to take free practice tests is at HamStudy.org: Cutting edge amateur radio study tools . ARRL and W5YI make the most popular books to study with - but you can get by with HamStudy as they will show you explanations when you put it in flash card mode (although books give you more in depth understanding). You don't get a call sign until you sit for the test, pay your fee, pass the test, and the VE (volunteer examiner) sends your test results into the FCC. You can pay a fee to get a vanity call sign of your choosing (assuming it is not taken), otherwise one is assigned to you. The ARRL has a search tool to show where/when tests are given. Many Ham Radio clubs offer them. Many of these same clubs also offer classes. I highly encourage you to get involved with a local club 0 they will help you along the way.

As a side note - you pay one fee and can take all 3 tests in one sitting (assuming you pass - you have to pass to take the same one).Once you got the tech questions down you should look at the general questions (esp. the band plan ones). There are many people who pass both the tech and general test in one sitting and they get a lot of HF privs in addition to their VHF and UHF privs.

Sanchez, Louisiana uses 2m (tech license will work) to communicate and the best thing about Louisiana is all of their skywarn repeaters are linked using Fusion allowing for communication throughout the whole state. Look into fusion capable ham radios and seek out a local ham group in your area, these guys meet regularly and they should have a person who can give you the test when ready. Downloading the ham prep test from app store and practice it everyday is also a good resource.

I’ll check it out, I’m hoping there’s a good group in or near Baton Rouge. I downloaded Ham Study app.

Sanchez, Louisiana uses 2m (tech license will work) to communicate and the best thing about Louisiana is all of their skywarn repeaters are linked using Fusion allowing for communication throughout the whole state. Look into fusion capable ham radios and seek out a local ham group in your area, these guys meet regularly and they should have a person who can give you the test when ready. Downloading the ham prep test from app store and practice it everyday is also a good resource.

Aurora Amateur Radio Group offers online sessions. I got my tech and General from them. They’re a great bunch.
HAM Teat Online is what I used to study for it. I passed and did exceptionally well.
I went for tech then General a month later so I can eventually get on HF. Right now I just have a GT 5R HT though.
Trying to learn CW next.
Good luck! Nathan N5PKR

Back