Hail guard, laptop stand, empty gas can, 2 hammers and 8 fix-a-flat sprays for free in NW MN motel

Miroslav Provod

Enthusiast
This is a follow-up to my previous thread about "free hail guard and laptop stand". We are leaving the US this evening and have left some equipment we can't take at the following hotel in NW Minnesota: 416 Valley St, Hawley, MN 56549. Their phone number is: (218) 483-4458

A very friendly young lady was happy to keep it there for about 2 weeks until another chaser picks it up. What we left there: The complete hail guard for wind shield and side windows, as in the pictures at https://www.flickr.com/photos/mprovod/, a laptop stand (both hail guard and laptop stand designed for Dodge Grand Caravan/Chrysler Grand Voyager, but hail guard easily adaptable to other vehicles with some simple DYI). We also left 8 fix-a-flat sprays to quickly fix minor punctures and an empty plastic gas can and 2 hammers.

I've already had an interest from 2 chasers, but we didn't manage to meet or leave it for them in a good place (justinmacauley in the hail guard and James Hilger in the laptop stand) so please check with them first or see if they replied below that they are/aren't planning to pick it up.

If someone plans to pick up any of these, please call the motel first to check it's still available and it may help if everyone who picks up any of those replies here so others know what is still available.

If you had any questions regarding the hail guard, or anything else, please let me know, preferably by email at [email protected] or [email protected] (the latter goes straight to my phone) as I'm not sure how often I'll check this thread once back in Europe.

Ok, I left it in the room and told about it to a lady at the bar around midday. She was very friendly and said they'll keep it in a laundry room. I believe she was there in the evening as well, so probably on a night shift, so if you call either evening or in the morning, they should know.

That's very generous and thoughtful of you to leave these items behind for free Miroslav. On behalf of the community, thank you very much.

I think it's apparent from the first post that if anyone wants these items you need to fill your tank and drive up there to get them. I can't think of any reason why a motel clerk would spend their time packaging and shipping these types of bulky items, other than if someone offered them enough money to convince them it was worth their time.

I'm with Mark, very generous of Miroslav to offer these items to other chasers free of charge and that is very kind of him and very much appreciated. Sadly, doesn't seem like anyone was willing to, as Mark put it, fill up their tank and go get these items.Even a couple tanks of gas is much cheaper than the overall cost of what Miroslav was offering for free.

Unfortunately, the reality is as soon as Miroslav left these items with the motel staff, they threw them into the trash. If you guys wanted these items, you should have spent the money to fill up your gas tank and met him to pick these items up. Such a shame that these items all went to waste.

Unfortunately, the reality is as soon as Miroslav left these items with the motel staff, they threw them into the trash. If you guys wanted these items, you should have spent the money to fill up your gas tank and met him to pick these items up. Such a shame that these items all went to waste.

That's a shame, the staff at the shift told me they would keep it for at least a week, maybe two. Perhaps I should have put up this thread earlier so there was more time to meet with someone. We go chasing every year for about a month, either May or early June, usually going to Minneapolis since there is a direct flight from London there and normally much cheaper to fly there and drive to plains than flying to Oklahoma/Texas, etc.. We always leave things behind as we have to buy a lot of large or heavy items, which would be too expensive to take back (more than the price of them). I will try and make a thread earlier next year, best would be if someone from Minneapolis area (preferably a chaser as hotels can throw things away) could keep it and others would then take things eventually. Or if someone had a spare place in their garage for the hail guard, we'd be happy to pay them if they stored it for a year (and they could use it of course in the meantime). Probably too early to plan now, but will try and remember to post more in advance next time before we arrive in the US.

Don't feel bad Miroslav as you did a good deed bottom line. More than likely there will be a local chaser who sees this post and goes there to retrieve the items. If an SPC risk pops up soon anywhere close to where you left the goods, they'll find a new home rather quickly. Hopefully they won't get thrown out and everything will work out. Thanks again for your generosity. It is appreciated!

I don't buy it for one lone minute that those expensive items that Miroslav so kindly offered were "thrown out" in the trash. No effin' way. Sure...the staff at the motel is singing that tune, but I'd bet my last buck one of them got off with all of it. I've worked motels in my earlier life, and nothing of value gets past the housecleaners and/or the maintenance guys. Nothing. One of 'em got the stuff...sold it or traded it for party favors and was living the high life within 24hours.
My point here is...I don't think any of us should feel too badly for not dropping everything you were doing and scampering off to claim that stuff. Chances are....it was gone...daddy.....gone VERY quickly. Just one man's opinion, of course.

Back