Glossary of Terms

• Thread starter Darrin Rasberry
  • Start date

Darrin Rasberry

Hello, everyone!

Since joining this site, I've seen some abbreviations I'm unfamiliar with, and that other novices are likewise unfamiliar with. If you have a moment, please review other terms posted in this thread and throw in a little of your own if you see some that are not posted.

An example of what I'm looking for would be:

SPC - Storm Prediction Centre

HP - High Precipitation

LP - Low Precipitation

CAPE - Convective Available Potential Energy

Many thanks in advance!

Courtesy rdale:

TOR - officially tornado-warned.

SVR - officially severe thunderstorm-warned.

Others found today:

Mike Smith: CRH = NWS Central Regional Headquarters in K.C.

Many thanks ...

not sure if its appropriate to ask in here, but i didnt think it warranted a new thread, because it is a terminology question...

i heard greg forbes use the term "dogs leg" today in reference to a nasty line segment...

i assume its one that takes the shape of a dogs leg, but i want to know what it really means...

not sure if its appropriate to ask in here, but i didnt think it warranted a new thread, because it is a terminology question...

i heard greg forbes use the term "dogs leg" today in reference to a nasty line segment...

i assume its one that takes the shape of a dogs leg, but i want to know what it really means...

I don't believe 'dogs leg' or 'dog leg' are a typically used severe weather term, but in this case referring to line segments which are broken lines it sounds like he is just distinguishing particular segments of the line. Typically the upwind, (typically southern oriented) side of a line segment would contain the updraft and most severe weather - i.e. large hail, and tornadoes. If it was a kinked or bowed segment then perhaps he was referring to a part which may contain a bow echo, or comma shape which can also contain tornadic areas or be the brunt of high wind outflow.

Back