Flake sightings?

No, I don't mean weird people (haha), but snowflakes.

Seems like a lot of us in the northern and central part of the CONUS are a bit behind schedule for seeing our first snow flurries, or any snowfall in general. There have been some vigorous cold pushes from Canada, but moisture has been lacking.

How many of you guys have already seen your first snowflakes for the season, and if you haven't, how much later than normal has it been so far?

So far not a flake to be seen in my neck of the woods. We usually see our first snowflakes around the first week of November...

I seen my first few flakes about a week and a half ago around 3 AM here on the southside.....nothing to write home about. Signals the end of my fun until spring.

probably aint gonna see no snow round my 'neck'...

hell, ive lived here for a long time and only remember seeing snow once, and it was coming from storms...

i swear it, i put it on everything...

i remember it must have been about january or february a few years back...we had these huge towering cumulus clouds with distinct updraft and downdraft features...i half expected to start seeing lightning strikes coming out of those clouds, and i couldent believe that there was convection going on with surface temps so cold...

well, one ended up comin by, and dropped nothing but big fat wet flakes of convective snow...

if there was any other snow event, it happened late at night and left a minimal dusting...we dont get any major snow events down here, and the local forecasters dont know a damn thing about winter weather forecasting...

they always blow it on the big icestorms :D

i think it has to do with the insulation of moisture to the temperatures...i know its never going to ice up if it starts raining and we got a surface temp of like 34...cause when it rains, i guess the moisture keeps the temps straight, and it struggles to drop the temps to the level which things start to freeze...

Last edited by a moderator:
We had snow squalls all the way up Lake Huron this afternoon and some in the St Marys River as well this evening. Some of them were more like ice pellets than snow flakes. Tomorrow we'll be in gales on Lake Superior, so will probably see more of the same there too. Tis the season for rocking and rolling on the Great Lakes. Two more trips and I am probably on vacation for 3 months. Too bad this can't happen Apr 15!!

Flake sightings

I saw a few flakes while out walking maybe a week ago.

We had flurries last Tuesday in WV, but I was out of town on business. I saw my first of the season on Thursday in Charleston.

I just got back from the Mogollon Rim country again tonight. There should be a chill in the air, this is mid November. I picked up some fall leaves in front of Zane Gray's cabin, but dressed in a tank top, even as night fell. This is weird. The Rim country is alpine. Elevation at Zane Gray's cabin is about 4-5000 ft. But up on the Rim right nearby (200 mile cliff escarpment running east/west across Arizona) the elevation is 7000+. There was no snow or sign of winter anywhere. I have been waist deep in snow up there. It is an aspen and ponderosa forest. I would think signs of winter would be right around the corner. At least the aspen leaves have fallen.

Well I've seen my first flakes today (over here in England) which is earlier than usual but not out of the ordinary. Although last winter I didn't see any until February.

Had a few fakes here and there in northern Iowa last week, I didn't see any of them however. Yesterday morning we had a nice snow squall come through with light snow and good winds to make it a nice white scene for about 10 minutes. Looks like we could have plenty more on the way depending on how this next system works out...

We had our first snow flakes last week...I think it was Thursday? I can't remember because I was so busy with stuff last week. It was the day after that front came through...we had NW'ly flow, so it was a classic event for Appalachian snow. Some areas in the counties along the Tennessee border got a few inches, but since Asheville is somewhat in the valley, we only got flurries. Still, though, it was exciting! I saw some residual lake-effect snow on the ground up near Erie, PA the Friday before last (was on my way to Toronto). That also made me very happy :-D (if it's gonna be cold it might as well snow too!).

There have been two storms in which I received snow. The biggest of which occurred on October 6th 2007. Over 6 inches of snow fell in about 5 hours, but melted quickly the next day. From what I have heard this is the earliest that it has snowed in quite a few years. Although the snow was awesome to see, because of the snow being so wet and the leaves having not fallen all the way at the time there were tons of broken trees, branches, powerpoles, etc all around the Snake River plain. Didn't take any photos of the damage but did snap a few photos during and after the storm.

normal_00newsnow4.JPG

normal_00newsnow3.JPG

I am hoping for more big storms like this and bigger. After living here for 3 years it is time for a blizzard. Hopefully La Nina will make that possible. =)

-gerrit

had a few flakes here and there but nothing to really measure. but wednesday into thursday we might have a major rain/snow event here in chicago.

Damn, Gerrit. Now we know where all the snow is! Nice pics.

Hopefully some of us in the midwest will not only receive our first flakes of the season this week, but maybe even some that'll stick.

We had our first snow in Denver Oct 21, which followed a day where the high was 80. It was only an inch or 2 on the grassy areas.

I actually got about 6" from that storm in Littleton. I only live a few miles away from where the Front Range foothills and the Palmer Divide intersect, though... on average, it's one of the snowiest parts of the Metro. This was shot fairly early in the event:

102107_snow_02.jpg

No snow since then. I'm looking forward to tomorrow and the rest of the week.

Back