FAA Could Close 20 Weather Offices

FAA Could Close 20 Weather Offices

link to article

The federal government yesterday moved forward with a controversial proposal that would close weather offices at 20 regional air traffic control centers around the country and instead provide controllers with forecasts from two central units in Maryland and Missouri.

The consolidation plan came under immediate fire from unions representing National Weather Service employees and air traffic controllers, which charged that the change will endanger aviation safety.

"Air traffic controllers will no longer have the immediate expertise of an on-site meteorologist to advise them where to route aircraft experiencing difficulty when weather conditions play a critical role in that decision," said Dan Sobien, president of the National Weather Service Employees Organization.

"This is a foolish plan that puts cost savings ahead of safety," said Patrick Forrey, president of the National Air Traffic Controllers Association. "Quite frankly, we cannot believe such a reckless idea has gotten this far." But the Federal Aviation Administration, which sought the changes, says advances in technology make face-to-face contact between controllers and forecasters unnecessarily expensive. No weather service employees will lose jobs under the proposed consolidation, according to federal officials, though job locations would change.

The proposal was sent to the FAA by John L. "Jack" Hayes, director of the National Weather Service.

The FAA has received the report but has not yet reviewed it, according to Paul Takemoto, a spokesman for the agency.

If the proposal is accepted, the next step would be to outline a nine-month demonstration and evaluation of the two-center approach to ensure there is no degradation in service or safety, according to Chris Vaccaro, a spokesman for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which oversees the weather service and is part of the Commerce Department. The two centers will be in College Park, Md., and Kansas City, Mo.

The evaluation would be subject to third-party review, Vaccaro added. "No final decisions or commitments" on consolidation have been made, he said.

The consolidation will be contingent on a successful demonstration and validation trial of the two-center model, according to the letter sent from Hayes to the FAA.

The proposal comes in response to pressure from the FAA, which pays for the weather stations and has pressed the National Weather Service to come up with less costly ways of providing forecasts to the regional air traffic control centers.

In September, the FAA rejected a previous proposal from the weather service that would have kept forecasters at each regional center.

Sobien, the union president, said that forecasters at each regional traffic center routinely provide emergency assistance to aircraft that have lost instrumentation during bad weather.

Under the new proposal, one "lead forecaster on duty" will be available at each of the two consolidated weather stations nationwide as a point-of-contact to support 10 regional air traffic control centers by instant messaging or telephone rather than face to face.

Sobien expressed concern that the forecaster may not always be available because of competing demands from the various regional control centers.

The FAA's Takemoto said the current arrangement is based on the technology that was available in the 1970s and needs to be updated. Every regional air traffic control center now "has up-to-the-minute weather from a variety of sources," he said, including Doppler radar and surveillance radar.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/04/AR2009060404176_pf.html What do you all think of this FAA proposal to close 20 weather offices? Do they mean NWS offices or airport weather offices?

FAA has NWS forecasters employed at multiple regional air traffic control centers, but what they're talking about is a totally separate thing from the Local WFO's. If this proposal goes through...pilots would only be able to obtain wx info from Baltimore or Kansas City instead of the other regional ATC centers (Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Memphis, etc). Does that make sense?

This proposal to close these offices is absolutely absurd. I understand that budgets are tight but sacrificing safety for budget cuts does not make sense at all. I think the Air France flight should be reason enough to keep them open.

As an Air Traffic Controller here in Atlanta I can tell you my perspective. I do not think the pilots will notice a difference. Why? Almost all of the information we disseminate to them comes from the aviation wx unit in Kansas City in the form of Airmets, Sigments, and Convective Sigments. There is also Center Weather Advisory & PIREPs, but I'm not sure who produces those.

If we lose the forecasters, we lose two daily briefings that cover operational impact of weather in their forecast area plus the ability to ask questions when something unusual happens. The forecaster also prepare TAF's for any major airport in their area. Here in Atlanta Center that would be ATL & CLT.

I believe the biggest loss would come from their interaction with TMU (traffic management unit).

Hoping they stay. My 2 cents.

I beleive they are intending on consolidating the ARTCC weather forecasters into a centralized location or perhaps a few locations(one assumes the FAA command center and the aviation weather center), to cut costs. There has been talk about this for a while. This would likely mean cutting jobs, so naturally it is going to run into opposition from the forecasters. This isnt going to impact safety at all, but i'd oppose it simply on the grounds of losing aviation weather jobs.

Sounds like the U.S. govt. Its funny how they won't even consider cutting funding for stupid research on something like whale migration, but drop the ball when it comes to weather forecasting for aviation. I guess I am missing something, but weather forecasting for aviation deserves a high priority since lives are at risk. Screw the whales!

I haven't found positive confirmation, but I believe they plan to close the Center Weather Service Units (CWSU) which are shown here: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/default2.html (details) and here http://aviationweather.noaa.gov/products/cwsu/ (products only).

Statement of Operations for a CWSU
CWSU meteorologists provide formal weather briefings to FAA supervisors within the Air Route Traffic Control Center (ARTCC) for the day and evening shifts. Verbal briefings are given to individual controllers at the ARTCC and tower control facilities around the
airspace, as well as to equipment technicians when weather conditions dictate. Two types of written products are also provided by the CWSU meteorologists. The Meteorological Impact Statement (MIS) is a 4 to 12 hour planning forecast of weather conditions expected to impact the
air traffic. The Center Weather Advisory (CWA) is a short-term warning of hazardous weather conditions provided to all aviation interests, including private pilots, towers, flight service stations, and commercial airlines. Thus, a CWA is similar to, but more localized than, the Airmets and Sigmets issued by the Aviation Weather Center (AWC) in Kansas City, Missouri.

Mike​

Back