Extra Ham Radio for chasing and a back up

OK so I tried to find this thread and maybe I didn't look hard enough but I wanted to know from you spotters and chasers. I was thinking about getting another ham radio in the vehicle for a back up as well as for chasing and other stuff. One chaser has recomenneded getting a duel-band radio especially for chasing in Oklahoma. I want to chase in both Tx and OK and already have a Icom 2200 which puts out 75watts on High power which I love !!!!! but the duel band radio from Icom the 2820H the highest it will go for output power is 50W. So I guess my question is very simple. in Oklahoma is 50W enough on the repeaters and why did Icom go down on watts output for the duel band radio ??? and I noticed the New Icom 2300 2m radio has gone down to 65W ????? can anyone give me some answers on these things ????????.

"MYFOXDFW.COM"

"Weather only on FOX-4"

"FOX 4-Warn StormTracker"

Shawn C.

In the early 2000s when I was attending OU, I was chasing with a 5W HT. now, I've got the Yaesu 8800, which can transmit up to 50W, but I rarely use it above 25W.

In my experience, I've found a good antenna will have more impact on transmitting quality than wattage.

^^ This..

The antenna mounting method and position also have an impact on range. Ideally you'd use an NMO mount placed in the center of the vehicle. Magnet mounts are good too as long as you get a big honkin magnet (I've had mine blow off at 80mph, and they are no match for low tree limbs - so I went NMO). Monopole transmitting antennas become directional with regard to their ground plane (the metal body of the car in this case). They transmit more effectively toward the direction where there is more metal. So if you have it in the center, it has a more or less omni pattern. If you have it on the trunk lid, it transmits better to the 12 o'clock. If it's on the driver's side fender, it transmits better to the 5 o'clock.

I appreciate the antenna advice very much thank you all I was just curious if 50W on the Icom 2820 will be great for operating in OKLAHOMA and curious as to why they only have the 2820 Icom duel band at 50W and the Icom 2300 at 65W ?????????? and I will also consider getting a Great antenna but just wanted to make sure that it will be enough to operate on and hit most repeaters in Oklahoma while out chasing ???????.

"MYFOXDFW.COM"

"Weather Only on FOX 4"

Shawn C.

I appreciate the antenna advice very much thank you all I was just curious if 50W on the Icom 2820 will be great for operating in OKLAHOMA and curious as to why they only have the 2820 Icom duel band at 50W and the Icom 2300 at 65W ?????????? and I will also consider getting a Great antenna but just wanted to make sure that it will be enough to operate on and hit most repeaters in Oklahoma while out chasing ???????.

Shawn C.

Yes, with a good antenna, 50 watts will be enough.

If you read my post, I said that I used to chase in OK with a 5W handheld, and it was almost always sufficient. The density of repeaters in the state is good enough that 5W and a decent externally-mounted antenna should be able to hit a nearby SKYWARN net. I assume that's what you're worried about. There might be one or two places in OK that require more wattage, but 25W or greater will assuredly get the job done.

What we are trying to tell you is to be less concerned with wattage and more concerned with antenna quality. You could transmit at 100W, but if you're antenna is junk you won't be able to transmit 5 miles. Wattage is NOT the most important thing when working 2m/70cm from a mobile station. IMO, 65W is overkill. Most mobile rigs transmit 50W at the highest.

Thank you Chris and I did read it :) but I guess sometimes I have more questions then just one hehe hehe hehe he he he he he he he I really do appreciate all of the information that I get on here from all of you. It is a great comfort to know that there is a GREAT Place that I can go to for questions and answers for weather,Chasing and other stuff. Thank you Chris and thank you all . :) :) :) :) :).

"MYFOXDFW.COM"

"Weather only on FOX-4"

Shawn C.

Back