Expected turn-around time on new (legit) member registrations

Shane Adams

I'm wondering what the current turn-around rate is on new, legitimate member registrations? I'm asking because my girlfriend and chaser Bridget Geaughan expressed her desire to be a member here. She did the whole registration/writing the essay thing in 2008, but was rejected for whatever reason (I think at the time, administration/moderation was at an all-time high for both frequency & intensity).

In recent years, with the "relaxing" of long-standing stipulations (most notably no longer requiring an actual name to join), it seems pointless IMO to reject any legitimate chaser. Having already done the essay thing and been rejected, she's really not wild about the idea of having to go through the entire process again, especially for nothing. So again, I'm curious as to (1) how long it takes to acknowledge and approve new memberships, and (2) what grounds are there for rejections?

I think existing members should be able to vouch for new registrees, and with that, I'm vouching for Bridget Geaughan's "worth" to be a part of the ST forum. Also, IMO, people who've already been through the full registration process and been rejected shouldn't have to go through it all again, when it's obvious membership requirement isn't what it used to be.

Note: Bridget knows nothing about this little post; if she found out I'd probably be in trouble.

From the way it seems, anyone can just join up with a working email. There's been a lot of newbies joining this year so I don't see why she couldn't. But as for writing an essay...be glad she didn't join when I did. Back then, I HAD to give up some money just to be a part of this place. I don't think its been that tight of stipulations. Has she tried just joining up with just her email? I think that's all you need.

I'm not sure what the criteria was in 2008. Years ago they probably wanted some chase history of some sort, trying to keep the signal to noise ratio in check when there were thousands of posts coming in a month. Those requirements are super lax now, especially given how quiet Stormtrack is lately.

The moderators are now approving new members. The new user essay is mainly there to keep out spammers. If they express interest in chasing or severe weather, they're almost always approved. If there is jibberish in that essay box or it's blank, it gets tossed. We have to dig into a menu to get to the new registrants though, so sometimes it takes a few days for somebody to get around to checking to see if there are sign ups. I'm sure if I saw Bridget's name pop in there, I would just automatically approve it though.

Thanks for the reply Skip, I appreciate it!!!! You seem to be a lonely mod these days LOL.

Thanks for the reply Skip, I appreciate it!!!! You seem to be a lonely mod these days LOL.

Like the Maytag repairman

200px-Maytag_repairman.jpg

Thanks Mark, and all of you mods who were in on this thread. She's in now.

Back