evacuations/hurricane chasing?

i have a big question for you cane chasers...

now that i live in MS, im planning on chasing a hurricane this year...but i had a serious question...

do cops or anybody try to stop you from going into the area the storm is going to hit? especially with all that happened in katrina...are you even allowed to get into the area its supposed to landfall when they issue mandatory evacuations?

i know cops block roads heading to tornadoes, and that leads me to believe that they wont let just anybody go in there unless they have some kind of clearance or something...do you need a special pass to get in, or do you just go before the evacuations and hide somewhere until everyones gone?

i dont know much about hurricane chasing, so i just wanted to ask the professionals...

During the main part of the evacuation you'll likely be blocked. But as the storm appoaches you're going to be driving into ghost towns. Cops are usually hunkered down, not defending the town from storm chasers.

ahhh this is a complex topic. I ran into trouble with police in Mobile for Ivan, but did not run into any trouble for Frances or Jeanne in florida. The main issue was curfews. You might want to choose a position that has some cover not only against the wind but against cops' eyes, and be careful using high powered illumination for night-filming; It draws attention.

Cops will not likely close any major inland roads the day before(except for contra-flow out of major cities). They will however close some bridges, especially those to barrier islands.

Cops are supposed to hunker down as the wind gets above a certain speed(~50mph), but I found some prowling around well after I had hoped they would be gone, and they came back out during the eye of Ivan too.

I have never been in a hurricane when there weren's cops out driving around in winds up to 85 mph. You will likely get to meet every cop on duty in the general area you are viewing the hurricane, if you are within 30 miles of the coastline. As they drive around they see very few people out, and assume you are some nut-case, so they come over and say hello; check you out.

The Katrina disaster is going to increase the facism and police state situations in locales that a hurricane is impacting. These officials are both trying to cover their ass from being blamed for unnecessary deaths, and self-rightously (fatherly-like) saving you from hurting yourself. These actions are backed up by the Governer declared state of emergencies that are recently being declared prior to the storm coming in.

A typical reaction by a local cop manning the roadblock is, "I am under orders to not let anyone through without the authority of my commander. You can go to the station house and show him your credentials if you like, and get me a written pass from him. Have a nice day."

right on, man...see this is exactly what i was thinking...

i just cant see no one stopping you from going to the hurricane...if cops are going to block roads for a tornado, they are definatly going to block roads if theres a category 5 sitting in the gulf...im sure they have a big concern about looting and whatnot because no one is in the city...

im sure some of you professionals with all the computer equipment and all in the car might be able to work with the cops, because you look like professional storm chasers...but my vehicle doesnt look so sophisticated...i can clearly see driving 500+ miles and making plans...and doing all these things just be told to turn around when a cop happens to pull me over...

reminds me of a time when i was younger...they were blowing up a bridge in montana, and they said no one could be in a certian area...

same thing here...i would bet money if a cop sees you...and its "his orders" hes going to turn you around...in hurricane situations...i bet there is nothing out there except for emergency management personel...

Good day,

1). I make sure I get into position EARLY (before the evacs).

2). Do not go out and drive around in the eye. Not is that only dangerous, as the second half will come, but cops patrolling in the lighter winds can arrest you.

3). Make sure you have an escape route to leave the storm after its over.

4). Never ever-ever lie to authorities. If they say "no" - Then "No is no".

My ideal chase I arrive early and get a hotel room somewhere in the general vicinity of expected landfall, and scout out positions along the coast, every 10-20 miles or so. Hotel rooms sell out quick once people start local evacs, so dont wait. Hotels near the beach close for major hurricanes. Cops wont bug you at a hotel, you can sleep(kindof), and then you can move out the next day towards your best position, just as the storm starts its landfall.

By scouting the area before-hand and marking numerous good positions on a map, if cops bug me at one position or if the storm changes course and I am going to get the weak side, I know exactly where to go and can reposition quickly, even in low end hurricane winds.

Scouting ~100 miles of coast uses lots of gas, so take that into account when planning.

And then I get out of there as soon as its possible after the storm.

Back