Earthquake in Oklahoma City - October 13, 2010

Huh... we just had another "boom" a minute ago, weaker than last week. I heard it at 12:53:26 CDT. I'm not sure whether it was just a noise in the area or if it was some sort of aftershock.

Tim

The smoking gun...

seismic1018.jpg

Note to self... do not get any jobs changing light bulbs on OKC TV towers.

Tim

With these being shallow events my pet theory is that it has something to do with depletion of the oil or aquifer under the area. Remove an uncompressible material with a bunch of brittle sandstone on top...

Tim

There was a 2.8 aftershock (prelim. info) a few minutes before 1pm. Didn't feel this one as I did the first, didn't hear anything either, but I was inside. Still cleaning up the rubble from the massive quake last week.

Continued shaking in Oklahoma has my eyeballs popping out. These tremors are happening in many different locations. Yes Oklahoma has earthquakes but these are small and happening in different spots of large areas. The seismic activity is growing too in frequency. For the longest time the only semi-frequent activity in the region was over by the New Madrid fault but over the last few months activity has gone through the roof. Very interesting to watch. Really activity has increased alot over the last 10 years worldwide. Not sure if thats due to better equipment or technology or mans understanding of seismic activity but the numbers dont lie. What strikes me is so much activity in a seismicly dormant area. Just makes me wonder with all this movement if stress isnt building somewhere that could lead to a major "slip". +5.0 or greater could have serious impacts on infrastructure here in the plains.

Here's a link that will visually aid my concerns on activity to my neighboring state to the south.
http://www.okgeosurvey1.gov/pages/earthquakes/recent-earthquakes.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Magnitude 3.4 - OKLAHOMA
2011 January 15 10:51:30 UTC

Magnitude 3.4 Date-Time Saturday, January 15, 2011 at 10:51:30 UTC Saturday, January 15, 2011 at 04:51:30 AM at epicenter
Location 35.537°N, 97.243°W Depth 5 km (3.1 miles) set by location program Region OKLAHOMA Distances 25 km (15 miles) ENE of OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma
35 km (25 miles) NW of Shawnee, Oklahoma 40 km (25 miles) NNE of Norman, Oklahoma 40 km (25 miles) SSE of Guthrie, Oklahoma

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/usc00013d7.php#details

Nice little shallow qauke east of OKC at 4:51 am this morning. Seems to be an active time of small quakes going on here in this area.

I felt the quake this morning; a sudden jolt. Interesting, I've lived in Oklahoma for over 10 years and never, knowingly, felt an earthquake here until the one in October and, now, this one only a few months later. The area around Jones, OK seems to be relatively active with a large number of small earthquakes.

Simon

...in the post above I changed "Luther" to "Jones"

That's what that was? I was talking to a guy at Othello's in Norman about the quake a few months ago last night, quite a coincidence. It was also incredibly foggy this morning.

Back