DSLR video question

DRMabe

EF1
Just wondering how many of you shoot storm video with a DSLR? I'm ordering a Canon 7D in the next week or so, and will use it primarily for photos, but would like have the option to shoot HD video as well and use my current camera body for stills. For those of you that have shot storm video with a 7D, could you post a link so I could see how it turned out? Also, do you use the built in mic or an external for audio?

I'd also be interested in a few video examples. I have thought about the move to a 7D and maybe selling my Sony HD camcorder and it's stupid m2t or whatever extensions.

I am shooting with a 550D ( T2i ) .

when stormchasing, I prefer to shoot in FHD 1080 at 24, 25 or 30i/s , because the HD 720 will shoot at 50 or 60 i/s and that is less favourable in low light situations. indeed, you win one f-stop .

BTW, shooting 1 minute in FHD1080 or HD720 gives about the same filesize.

I recommend you get the extra battery grip, and a 2nd battery, because shooting video is only possible via the LCD screen and that uses up a lot of power. Ideally, you even keep a 3rd battery in the pocket.

Ideal lens today is the EF-S 15-85 IS . It is an excellent lens, see the reviews on fredmiranda and B&H, and its IS Image Stabilization works very very good in video mode. The 15mm results in equiv 24mm , nice wide angle. Other lens I like is EF-S 10-22 but it is not stabilized and this is easily seen when shooting handheld, even at 10mm superwide. The 15-85 is actually from Canon the widest angle lens with IS. All wider lenses have no IS. Thus, if you want a wide lens with IS, this is your best choice.
Vignetting is visible on the 15-85 lens especially wide open in wide angle. However, the camera has a setting in the menu function to compensate for the vignetting and it disappears almost entirely.

outside microphone : would certainly give better sound , and you can reduce wind noise , and get a stereo mic, etc. but using an outside mic makes the camera more bulky, and you have to keep an eye on the microphone's battery level. In my opinion it is not a must. Stormvideo is most spectacular from what you see, less from what you hear, in most cases.

here are a few videos I shot with the 550D / T2i
in this one I used either the 10-22 lens, or occasionnally a 50/1.4 . None of them has stabilisation.
As you can see, handheld without image stabi , shaking is visible, even at superwide angle. It is important to keep camera very calm. if you can, use a tripod, or at least a monopod, or put the camera on a stable surface.

http://www.youtube.com/klipsigeneva#p/u/16/HVAStCQBFdI
http://www.youtube.com/klipsigeneva#p/u/15/qKfFZ1oqcNk

originally filmed in 1080FHD , then reduced to 720 HD and slightly compressed for faster upload .

next : filmed with the 15-85 lens WITH image stabilization ! Makes a big difference.

http://www.youtube.com/klipsigeneva#p/u/12/WyfzulWAJA0
http://www.youtube.com/klipsigeneva#p/u/10/WgBjdPdpogk
http://www.youtube.com/klipsigeneva#p/u/5/E_o37NVxy2o
http://www.youtube.com/klipsigeneva#p/u/0/k28D_0ERgJE

Thanks for the info Olivier. I think you might have help sell a 550D, you might want to contact Canon for a commision:)

Welcome to the 7D/5D club. I just picked my 7D up two weeks ago (during the Canon rebate fiasco). There are a number of things I'm still learning, but have already noticed lots too.

The biggest thing I'm already noticing is hand held operations with the camera for video. It's not a nice balance like other cameras. You should really consider looking into a mount to hold the camera in a more traditional manner.

Also, make sure you get a boom mic. Do NOT rely on the internal mic.

I hope you have at least 8gb RAM on your computer. Files are HUGE, even with the 7D (18mp vs. 5DmII 21mp) and editing will be a bear without it. I haven't yet, but I know my 4gb RAM is a not go on a Dual Core Duo. Can always pick up a Apple Macbook Pro 13.3 with an i7 for ~ $1400, which isn't bad. That'll be the better platform (assuming you get Final Cut Pro) but that's a ton of money to plunk down. Worth it if you plan to do film projects. I recommend getting at least two 8gb cards for good work flow if you are going to chase. Be sure they are the 60/ms EXTREME card (16gb SanDisk is what I went for). Get an extra battery, again for workflow. The camera chews batteries fast (about an hours worth).

I just joined planet5D forums...they seem good, not sure if they are the best...I'm still in discovery mode myself.

Welcome to the 7D/5D club. I just picked my 7D up two weeks ago (during the Canon rebate fiasco). There are a number of things I'm still learning, but have already noticed lots too.

The biggest thing I'm already noticing is hand held operations with the camera for video. It's not a nice balance like other cameras. You should really consider looking into a mount to hold the camera in a more traditional manner.

Also, make sure you get a boom mic. Do NOT rely on the internal mic.

I hope you have at least 8gb RAM on your computer. Files are HUGE, even with the 7D (18mp vs. 5DmII 21mp) and editing will be a bear without it. I haven't yet, but I know my 4gb RAM is a not go on a Dual Core Duo. Can always pick up a Apple Macbook Pro 13.3 with an i7 for ~ $1400, which isn't bad. That'll be the better platform (assuming you get Final Cut Pro) but that's a ton of money to plunk down. Worth it if you plan to do film projects. I recommend getting at least two 8gb cards for good work flow if you are going to chase. Be sure they are the 60/ms EXTREME card (16gb SanDisk is what I went for). Get an extra battery, again for workflow. The camera chews batteries fast (about an hours worth).

I just joined planet5D forums...they seem good, not sure if they are the best...I'm still in discovery mode myself.

I'll likely need some more RAM in my PC. 3GB now, but I do have a high quality gaming graphics card, so maybe that can assist. What type of mount are you talking about?

As for an external mic.....I've read good things about this and have been thinking that this one is what I'll get.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=744768&is=REG

I have a 16GB Transcend 400x card on the way now for my 7D (7D will be delivered this evening, waiting on it now). I'll likely buy a second card as well but it will be a couple weeks on that. Planning on getting the battery grip for the 7D and using 2 batteries to increase life when out for extended periods shooting.

Just wondering how many of you shoot storm video with a DSLR? I'm ordering a Canon 7D in the next week or so, and will use it primarily for photos, but would like have the option to shoot HD video as well and use my current camera body for stills. For those of you that have shot storm video with a 7D, could you post a link so I could see how it turned out? Also, do you use the built in mic or an external for audio?

the quality will be pretty close, but here's some I took with the 7D's big brother the 5D-MkII at the NAS Pensacola Airshow last November.

http://drewgphotography.smugmug.com...irshow-Hi-Def/14681702_RhDNk#1097701893_ytn3X

Almost everything on our channel from 2010 was shot on a Panasonic GH1 -- which is a micro four thirds cam:

http://www.youtube.com/user/supercellhunting

Half of what we shoot this year will use traditional still cameras -- as we are using a GH1 and GH2 this year along with a more traditional HMC 150.

A few tips:

-Jason hit on the most important, get an external mic. The one you linked to there is a great choice! Also get a DeadCat for your mic, trust me, it's worth the extra $50 or so. Audio is 51% of your picture, don't ignore it :)

-Be sure to have a good workflow set up with video. Shoot some test video and make sure you got it figured out. I know I ran into some problems editing 7D files in Final Cut because it shoots in a format that absolutely SUCKS for editing. I have to convert 7D files to Pro-Res before I even touch them or the quality just blows. You need to get a good editing software suite (don't skimp here or the video is worthless, it requires a bit of heavy lifting to convert the files before editing) -- and yes upgrade your ram. 3GB will not be enough on Windows.

-Get at least 2 cards and 2 batteries -- preferably closer to 3 - 4 cards. It's pricey, but you don't want to have just one card and one battery for a variety of reasons. While you can take a few hundred stills on a 16gb card, you are looking at no more than an hour of video, which given the 7D's time limits means you are going to run into problems trying to squeeze both stills and video into 16gb if you have an especially good day (and let's hope you do!).

-You want to consider a mount for sure, either Tripod or get one of the cool DSLR rigs from guys like Zacuto if you are going to shoot hand held. A lot of the lenses on the 7D will look terrible without any image stabilization if you are jerky with your hands. Rolling shutter is a nightmare.

-And yes, you can only shoot 12 minutes on a 7D per file. I know I've heard of people missing cool stuff because they shot and forgot. It's easy to do.

-And finally -- if anyone else is considering this route I cannot recommend enough the Panasonic GH2. It is hands down the best 'DSLR' combo for both video and stills. I'm a video guy and it soundly beats any other camera in this class from a quality standpoint -- and it's price is nice too. You can mount any lens on it with the proper adapter as well -- and I love Micro Four Thirds because it's sensor is VERY close to the same size as 35MM film so I'm definitely biased :)

Thanks to everyone for the great HD capable DSLR reviews. I will be making the jump from SD to HD and will be going with the Canon EOS 60D. This makes sense for me with the lense options that I currently have. Chad Cowans video last week was what pushed me into making the decision finally. It will be nice only packing one camera around this year.

Good videos and advice guys! The 7D is awesome so far, haven't tried any video yet. I'm def getting the Rode Videomic Pro I posted....it has a voucher to receive a FREE deadcat with purchase of the mic, so I'll get that also. As far as cards, I have the 16GB 400x Transcend and a 8GB 200X Sandisk as a backup for stills. Planning to get 2 more of the 16GB 400X Transcends though this summer. Also ordered an extra Canon Battery and a grip last night to keep me good on power. Prob even have a 3rd battery by the time I come to the plains next year. Also looking at Manfrotto Tripods with a ballhead, something like this one
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=523086&is=REG

Good calls all around man! You won't regret your investment -- now as for some new glass.......

(it never ends :D)

It's a money hole for sure. As for glass, the only 2 I'm looking at is the Canon MPE-65 Macro, and either a Sigma 24-70 or a Canon 24-105 f/4L. Just a high quality all around lens

As for the tripod I have my eye on, I'm hearing other advice from a photography forum I frequent. Those guys are recommending moving up the the Manfrotto 055XProB leg set and the 498RC2 ball head. That would run me closer to $250 as opposed to the $175 of the current tripod. What tripods do some of you guys use or recommend? The heaviest "load" I would possibly mount would be the 7D Gripped, Sigma 150-500, and a Rode Videomic Pro. Roughly 10lbs of gear at the MAX for any situation. For chasing, it would probably just be the 7D gripped with the wide lens. 5lbs or so....

As for the tripod I have my eye on, I'm hearing other advice from a photography forum I frequent. Those guys are recommending moving up the the Manfrotto 055XProB leg set and the 498RC2 ball head. That would run me closer to $250 as opposed to the $175 of the current tripod. What tripods do some of you guys use or recommend? The heaviest "load" I would possibly mount would be the 7D Gripped, Sigma 150-500, and a Rode Videomic Pro. Roughly 10lbs of gear at the MAX for any situation. For chasing, it would probably just be the 7D gripped with the wide lens. 5lbs or so....

I've used this tripod now for 3-4 years (two different ones) and it's done the job just fine:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ROVISTA12_ProVista12_Video_Tripod_System.html

Back