Detection Breakthrough from El Reno?

Greetings from Joplin, MO, tornado-free since 2011.

Recently, a meteorologist mentioned a breakthrough from a Samaras El Reno probe, something that would make tornadoes far more predictable. Maybe I heard her wrong. She says she would send her notes, but she's disappeared into the ether.

Does anyone know what she could have been talking about? This would be a blockbuster. I try to keep up with research news, and think I would have heard about it. But it could be something still being studied and vetted behind the scenes, not ready for publication yet.

I thought it could have been the College of DuPage professor's effort to predict tornadoes weeks in advance, but that doesn't seem to be tied into anything Samaras did.

Thank you.

Steve-I could be wrong but I had heard they did not get to deploy any probes on that day. Rather, the probes were found scattered around, but they had not been activated. If I did not hear correctly, someone please chime in.

Rick, thank you for replying. I figured either I heard wrong or the meteorologist did. And I should correct my mistake in mentioning the College of DuPage professor's work. The goal is not to predict individual tornadoes weeks in advance, but to give a longer lead time on potential outbreaks, like extending the SPC risk areas out to two or three weeks.

Back