Choices with latest CMOS videocameras

DerekBaker

As you may have noticed, most manufacurers are now going with CMOS chips over CCD detectors in their latest models. This means that finding a videocamera that doesn't have rolling shutter artifacts is getting more and more difficult. This potentially could make it difficult to film lightning and grab good stills from video of any storm with a lot of lightning.

Are certain manufacturers implementing their designs in a way that mitigates rolling shutter artifacts? I'm interested in consumer and perhaps prosumer level videocameras that would not be used as dashcams and/or for streaming.

Any recommendations for cameras that actually meet their specs for low-light sensitivity?

Thanks

Derek

I got the Panasonic AG-HMC40 last fall and I've had plenty of good times with it. Rolling shutter is almost non-existent in this 3MOS setup, and it even does pretty well with lightning (though it will still chop it at times). It also shoots the full 1920x1080 frame and records to a SD card in the AVCHD format. The low-light isn't that great due to its 1/4" sensors, and while it doesn't have the pro audio+mic in the standard package (it adds about $300), it's still a pretty solid setup for low-end prosumer. If you don't mind some grain, you can pump up the gain pretty high for low-light conditions. You'll also want to invest in a bigger battery (I have a 6-hour one that I've never had to switch out while chasing), and while a 16gb SD card may do the trick, I went with a high-speed 32gb SDHC card and it's been fast and flawless so far (even when the card got wet once it still recorded). Also, this rig isn't the most rain-resistant, so it would be a good idea to keep it out of anything more than a sprinkle. I put some material over the on-board mic and you can put some tape over the SD card slot for some quick-and-easy waterproofing.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ic_hmc40kit_AG_HMC40_AVCCAM_HD_Camcorder.html

Note: I didn't buy mine off of B&H, but it's a good link with helpful reviews.

I love my Sony PJ760 (CX760). It has 96GB of in built memory, so I only have to download every few chases. The resolution on my HD TV is just fantastic and the low light results are good too. I really get good still frames as well. Lightning still gets chopped by the rolling shutter, but following a tip posted here you will definitely improve the shutter issue if you drop to 25i from 50p.

Most of the Youtubes in past 12 months at my site are taken with the Sony, there are some night examples of lightning - try the Brewster clip. Just be aware that whilst 1080 resolution, to upload in any reasonable timeframe I have converted clips to H264 and compressed significantly.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ozthunder

Back