Chase essentials?

JHadorn

EF4
I'm trying to prepare somewhat for driving around like an idiot this June and I'm wondering what equipment and other things are essential?

If your going to be driving like an idiot I suggest these three essential items:

1. Good insurance

2. Lots of cash for the tickets you are going to get for driving like an idiot.

3. A cell phone so you can call me and tell me your location so I can be sure to stay away from your idiotic driving.

Ok, enough of the jokes...What do you want to accomplish while chasing? Here are some of the things that I feel are mandatory while chasing.

1. A well maintained vehicle with a spare tire and a can or two of fix-a-flat!

2. A mature mind that is safety conscious and well educated.

3. A cell phone for communication.

4. Road maps or GPS for navigation and safety. (ie. Always having an escape route)

5. Weather radio or nowcaster to keep you up to date on the latest severe weather.

6. Did I mention a well maintained vehicle? Remember that your vehicle is your #1 tool in storm chasing. Keeping it well maintained will make you more successful in the field.

As far as bar bone essentials, I think this list about covers it. Of course you will want other items depending on what your intentions are when you venture out on the open highway in search of that majestic supercell.

Here are a few (of the "not-so-obvious") things I take along:

Spare batteries and vid tapes/film for everything
DeLorme maps + GPS
Cellphone w/NWSFO (and nowcaster) #'s on speed-dial
Maps (I created) pointing the way to almost every library in The Alley
List of dial-up #'s for my provider for almost every town in The Alley
BRAND NEW tires and windshield wipers on the vehicle every March
Bright yellow jacket for standing roadside in adverse conditions (I certainly want to be seen by passing traffic!)
Come-along (winch-type thingy) and tow ropes, snow ("mud") chains, flares kept in Ziploc bags, first-aid kit, duct tape, plastic sheeting (in case of window loss), tp, water, non-perishable food, gloves, "fix-a-flat", binoculars (though I've yet to actually use them), hygrometer, wx radio, walkie-talkies, blankets and pillows, tripod (the heavier the better...they will be in strong inflow), ruler (measure hail), window-cleaner, paper towels, installation discs for such laptop software as GPS, (re-chargeable) battery charger, quarters for toll booths, spare cable for laptop-to-modem connection

Bob

GPS would be awesome, but ye olde budget constrains me to a map. That's bad because I am the worst navigator in the history of the world. I could get lost on a fifteen mile one way with no turn offs.

Thanks for the lists.

Originally posted by JHadorn
GPS would be awesome, but ye olde budget constrains me to a map. That's bad because I am the worst navigator in the history of the world. I could get lost on a fifteen mile one way with no turn offs.

Thanks for the lists.

$40 out of the question? You can get an old Tripmate for that, do a little hack job on it (easy) and you can plug it into a laptop for mapping

Originally posted by Jason Boggs
If your going to be driving like an idiot I suggest these three essential items:

1. Good insurance

I would actually suggest that whether or not you're an idiot. Insurance to cover automobile accidents (caused BY an idiot), hail damage (hard to avoid sometimes), theft, and other hazards. I would definately recommend getting some good insurance on not only your car itself, but the equipment you frequently travel with.

Insurance to cover automobile accidents

A lot of folks have only $50k for at fault damage. If you hit a spendy ride or cause a multi-car mess that $50k will be expended very fast. Recently a guy attempted a U-turn on I-29 near Grand Forks, ND and ended up taking out a tanker truck with a couple thousand gallons of fuel on board which ended up exploding. He is in for a reality check when he gets out of the hospital and the bill for the tanker and fuel comes in the mail. For an extra buck or two a month the coverage can be boosted to $100k.

As always, essential include navigation (maps, GPS, or both), a good working ride, gas, solid knowledge, and your camera.

Back