car rental scams and ways to avoid extra charges

I skimmed the article, but two things I've always recommended.

1) for those that can, get AMEX with the car rental program. It will save your ass(ets). I've had one decent claim and they took car of it. I believed they also took car of Tony L's snowmobile claim as well. Other credit card companies offer coverage too, but when I compared the programs (4 years ago the last time) AMEX was by far the best option.

2) since we all have video cameras. Video tape the car in the parking space before you get in. Full 360, and a few inside shots. Do the same when you are at the security exit point (where the guy usually checks your paperwork), or have an employee come out and review the entire car with you...and on video, pointing out all existing damage and have them state their name, the date, and the time on the video. If they refuse, refuse to accept the car.

I once rented a piece of junk with many windshield chips in it. I actually replaced the windshield myself out of my own pocket later after an encounter with hail. I fixed also two door handles that were coming off. When I returned it, it was in better condition than when I got it, but they raised a fit about two small rock chips in the windshield. I couldn't believe it. I argued that there were already plenty of rock chips when I got it. I had the full coverage anyway, so It didn't really matter.

I've only had one negative experience with a rental; and the "walk-around" did not uncover this type of problem.

The second day of having the car one of the driver's armrests fell off. The item was originally bolted in but I could tell that the bolt was now stripped; trying to put it back in simply didn't work if pressure was placed on it. It was apparent from the wear marks on the bolt head that this item had already been "adjusted" several times

Being the kind of person I am I reported the problem when I returned it. My reward? They wanted to charge $500 to correct the problem. After a series of arguments ensued I simply called my credit card company (who I had insurance with)... no probs; they handled it. I'll bet the problem was never actually repaired after that.

Verdict? ALWAYS have a credit card that includes rental insurance.. never use the rental agencies overpriced product. You might want to give the interior of your ride a good going over too on the walk-around.. not just the body.

About a year or two ago one of my credit card companies sent me one of those revised benefit brochures and in the auto insurance section it indicated that if any damage occurred while the car was under a rental agreement they would become secondary payers to the automobile insurance policy held by the renter. For me that would mean that my normal auto policy held through American Family would be primary and the credit card company would be secondary. Having two insurances is nice as the secondary would pick up the deductible from the primary, which usually means no out of pocket expense.

Has anyone else noticed this language in the materials they are sending out nowadays? I've actually watched this a little closer and it seems to be a trend they are all following. I presume it's to reduce costs and make more money, but who am I to say.

Back